Magento Forum

How do I customize default template ? 

justwildlife

Total Posts:  17

Hi

I recently installed Magento Community Edition on our server and it installed with default theme.

Now we want to customize the look and feel of this template but don\\\’t know how we do it.

Specifically we want to remove certain blocks appearing on right portion of the screen.

For reference, anyone can visit my website http://mg-india.com/globaltechnologies

Any useful help will be highly appreaciated by fellow users.

I’ve also attached screenshot and marked the part what I want to customize.

Image Attachments
http___mg-india.jpg

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

henryvps

Total Posts:  15

For the look and feel there is an extension called ThemeTuner we just released which simplifies the process a lot. Especially if you are not yet too familiar with Magento.

Drop me a line and I’d be happy to give you some pointers on how you’d be able to get rid of the blocks you don’t need on your site.

Magento Community
Magento Community

justwildlife

Total Posts:  17

Hi Henry

Thanks for the reply and I also visited the link provided. There is no option on the link to download any trial copy of the product to test.

Can you guide me on how to get rid of those blocks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

henryvps

Total Posts:  15

Presuming it is a home page where you don’t need the right sidebar I would advise to go with one column layout which you can choose under CMS > Pages > Home page (or whatever your page’s name is) in Magento admin. In case you don’t want to the blocks to category or product pages either then you can use Layout Updates which can be found on product/category config page in admin. For example

<remove name="right.poll" />

should prevent Magento from loading the poll block. Layout updates are usually added to layout XML files under your theme’s layout folder.

If you’re new to Magento and not familiar with how XML layouts work then I would recommend Alan Storm’s book “No Frills Magento Layout”.

Regarding to the style changes.. Did you notice the demo link on the site? You should get a good idea of what the extension is currently capable of.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community