Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Why does magento continue to have so many problems? 

hiphopstore

Total Posts:  7

For a software thats been developped for so many years now. Why does it still not work properly?

I have the idea the way the software works is designed to make storeowners run into problems, because of the way they design database. And different import functions and media gallery. So they made the code bad on purpose, so you would need support. They made it run slow on purpose, so you would need better servers. They made all extensions that are free work badly, so that you should get paid ones.

MAgento is really a bad piece of software, and for everyone using it I recommend oscommerce, which is much more user friendly!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Kentropolis

Total Posts:  15

hiphopstore - 14 November 2012 07:40 PM

MAgento is really a bad piece of software, and for everyone using it I recommend oscommerce, which is much more user friendly!

I can appreciate what you are saying but respectfully submit a contrary opinion.

I myself am tempted to describe it as “over-engineered” but its complexity is there to accommodate amazing capabilities and feature sets no one else can compare with, and the software architecture is the most logical code I’ve ever seen.

osCommerce is fine, but the reason I focus on Magento for my client offerings is not only the above, but the interface lends itself to slick B2C branding that makes osCommerce, zenCart, et alia, look like reading a bus schedule by comparison.  It’s good enough for geeks selling to other geeks, but unless you want the work of major hacking and design coding, it’s not a professional-looking solution for the general public.

Magento Community
Magento Community

vjtemplates
Guru

Total Posts:  408
Washington, USA

As Kentropolis addressed, Magento is all about features and scalability. It all depends on what kind of online stores you want to have.

Magento Community
Magento Community

johnbullac

Total Posts:  17

I have the experience of using both platforms - Magento and os Commerce. My opinion is that Magento is more convenient for large stores. The biggest Magento benefit is its forum and support community, lots of modules and apps available. My first example is Cart2Cart ( http://www.shopping-cart-migration.com ) . I had migrated all store data from osCommerce automatically .  There are much more helpful management tools here. My vote is for Magento

Magento Community
Magento Community

swedge218

Total Posts:  1

I really feel like going with the OP only that I find it hard to believe the magento team would make the software have issues intentionally.
But then I have used many CMSes - joomla, wordpress, c5, modx and now that i started working in ecommerce I started with the easy Opencart and in all these software listed above, installation was a breeze.

Here I am, installing magento for a whole day without complete success. Not working at all on localhost even though I have read more that ten tutorials and videos including those on magento site. Even the online install that worked always has one issue or the other. I have re-istalled several times and each time you come up with another hitch. Sample data is more problem both before and after installation. And that is not only me, i see loads of peeps online having same issue.

My question: Who builds a great (as people are saying) opensource solution and makes installation (most basic and fundamental thing) so f***ing haaard?

I am so frustrated yet I would like to check this software out cos of all the noise made about it...but so irritated i must say.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Kentropolis

Total Posts:  15

Install was a nightmare for me as well ... UNTIL I migrated to a new server, as mine was a bit behind the times. Liquid Web’s current Linux hosting has an INSTALLER that actually works amazingly well, saving me literally ALL the back end steps.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community