Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 27
Bug reports

FOOMAN
Guru

Total Posts:  669
Auckland, New Zealand

Hi all,

when reporting any issues and bugs please do the following after installing the extension:

1.) Visit the url: http://YOURMAGENTOWEBSITE/lib/minify/m.php

This should return a blank page with only these words
HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found

2.) Visit the url: http://YOURMAGENTOWEBSITE/lib/minify/m.php?f=/skin/frontend/default/default/css/print.css

You should see css in a condensed form. Also files starting with minify_ should be written to /var/minifycache.

3.) Change to address http://YOURMAGENTOWEBSITE/skin/m/1232681243/skin/frontend/default/default/css/print.css
This should show the identical file from step 2.
OR on Speedster versions < 2.0
http://YOURMAGENTOWEBSITE/minify/1232681243/skin/frontend/default/default/css/print.css

4.) Go to http://YOURMAGENTOWEBSITE and view the source

Copy and paste the address for the CSS and or JS files into your browser address bar. This should now give a minified output of all your requested files.

When reporting bugs please verify that you have followed the instruction carefully and let me know at what stage your installation runs into trouble. The net tab of the firebug firefox extension is generally helpful in finding out what is not loading correctly.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

FOOMAN
Guru

Auckland, New Zealand

Possible Solutions

for 1.

Most likely you will see “Internal Server Error” which is caused by wrong permissions. These differ from server to server but most often 755 or 775 work. If in doubt check what is working for your main index.php in the Magento root folder.

Apply the same setting to the folder /lib/minify and the file m.php

for 2.
Check that you have adapted the url to include the subfolder if you haven’t installed Magento in the webroot

Again problems could be caused by wrong permissions for the cache directory. Check permissions on /var/minifycache

Is the output garbled? This could mean that content gets compressed twice. One culprit can be eliminated by turning off zlib compression for this folder. Edit /lib/minify/.htaccess and follow the comments.

for 3.
Problems here usually mean something is wrong with the rewrite rule in the htaccess file. (.htacess for versions before 2.0 and skin/m/.htaccess for the current version). Please ensure your server supports apache rewrite rules. Please also check the file permissions for the .htaccess files. The easiest would be to compare them to your .htaccess file in your main Magento folder and make them the same.

If you are on versions below 2.0 please double check that you have added the supplied code at the right position (it is found somewhere in the middle of the file). Double check that you have uncommented the rewriteBase line. If you are running from a subfolder you need to change this line to include the subfolder. For multi store setups please also follow the advice linked to from the main extension page on MagentoConnect.

for 4.
Can’t see anything in between <head>. This could again mean a permission issue. Change permissions on /app/code/community/Fooman/Speedster and all containing files.
Another cause could be an incompatibility with another extension - check if any other extensions are installed which could interfere. There is a known issue in working in conjunction with Canonical URLs and a workaround is linked from the instructions.
Deleting /var/cache can also help.
Another cause for nothing to show up is if the extension got disabled in the back-end under System > Configuration > Advanced (check all scopes default,website and store)
Have you previously run the compilation mode? If yes disable it via commenting out everything in includes/config.php

If you are running on a different platform than Apache on Linux you very likely need to adapt the given instructions to your platform.

Magento Community
Magento Community

eitai2001
Guru

Total Posts:  330
Johannesburg, South Africa

Ok, I got it working ... it was a matter of setting the bloody permissions from 777 to 755 as the server doesn’t allow 777 :/

Magento Community
Magento Community

joris

Total Posts:  24

I’ve tried almost all settings… The page http://test.trampolines.nl/lib/minify/m.php still gives the internal server error.

All folders have the setting 755, the file m.php 444 right now (same as index.php in the root.)

I’ve tried all variations for the following:
- var/minifycache
- lib/minify/m.php
- lib/minify/
- I have deleted the content of var/cache
- the folder var/minifycache is still empty..

Still internal server error… What can I do?

Magento Community
Magento Community

FOOMAN
Guru

Auckland, New Zealand

Not sure what else could be behind the internal server errors. Does it also happen if you copy m.php to your webroot?

Another avenue for troubleshooting would be to download the minify library complete with tests. Maybe they yield some insight into why it won’t work on your test setup.

Good luck

Magento Community
Magento Community

eitai2001
Guru

kuuperz - 21 June 2009 03:02 AM

I’ve tried almost all settings… The page http://test.trampolines.nl/lib/minify/m.php still gives the internal server error.

All folders have the setting 755, the file m.php 444 right now (same as index.php in the root.)

I’ve tried all variations for the following:
- var/minifycache
- lib/minify/m.php
- lib/minify/
- I have deleted the content of var/cache
- the folder var/minifycache is still empty..

Still internal server error… What can I do?

For interest sake if you haven’t already, try setting m.php to 777, 775, 755 ...

Magento Community
Magento Community

joris

FOOMAN - 21 June 2009 03:29 AM

Not sure what else could be behind the internal server errors. Does it also happen if you copy m.php to your webroot?

Another avenue for troubleshooting would be to download the minify library complete with tests. Maybe they yield some insight into why it won’t work on your test setup.

Good luck

http://test.trampolines.nl/m.php , the expected 404 error! Does this clear things up?

Magento Community
Magento Community

eitai2001
Guru

Did you set m.php to 755? That was the problem I had when I was getting the 404. Also make sure the folder that m.php is in is also set to 755. 444 Sounds quite wrong.

Magento Community
Magento Community

FOOMAN
Guru

Auckland, New Zealand

Yes a little. Have a look if there is a htacces in the lib folder denying access. Speedster should come with an additional htacces in lib/minify which is meant to override this. But seems this doesn’t work. Easiest test would be to temporarily rename /lib/.htaccess

Magento Community
Magento Community

Rooni

Total Posts:  87
England

hello have a look at my site why its coming up like that i have done all things which you posted
http://matchingbedrooms.com

Magento Community
Magento Community

FOOMAN
Guru

Auckland, New Zealand

hey haroon, had a look but it doesn’t seem to be installed. Please check at which step you don’t get the desired result and follow the suggestions under Possible Solutions.

Magento Community
Magento Community

joris

Problem solved! It was the lib/minify/.htaccess.... Thanks for your help!

The contribution really works, the shop is a lot faster now smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Rooni

Total Posts:  87
England

hello fooman yh i have uninstalled the application after trying all ur instructions didnt work for me dunno why anyways thanks for support

Regards
Haroon

Magento Community
Magento Community

StrawberryWonderKiss

Total Posts:  4

Did I miss something? I did the instructions in the first post and it does do what the instructions would suggest but then what? Now my page is all ugly and stripped out. Was that the goal?

Magento Community
Magento Community

FOOMAN
Guru

Auckland, New Zealand

hey StrawberryWonderKiss, if all the steps produce the expected result it would suggest that Speedster is working correctly. The page should however stay the same as before. Do you have a link?

Magento Community
Magento Community

kimchi209

Total Posts:  67

I can’t seem to install....

downloading Fooman_Speedster-1.0.4.tgz ...
Starting to download Fooman_Speedster-1.0.4.tgz (61,330 bytes)
. . . . . . . . . . . . ...done: 61,330 bytes
ERROR: failed to mkdir /home/peaktope/public_html/app/etc/modules

I confirmed that that folder and the one above it was 755 and also changed the .htaccess as requested

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 27