Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Customizable Products

pgb315

Total Posts:  13

I’m new to Magento and very impressed so far.  I’ve been running X-Cart for many years and I’d love to migrate away from it.

One of our stores sells highly customizable apparel.  The customer starts off by picking a design out of the product listing.  Then they can customize it by selecting the apparel style (t-shirt, hoodie, etc.), the size (S,M,L,etc.) and the color (white, black, etc.).

Are the following possible in Magento:

1) Can you have dependencies in the attributes?  In other words, each apparel style has it’s own list of available sizes and colors.  Depending on which style is chosen, the available sizes should change.  When a size is chosen, the available colors should change.  All designs and available on every style, size and color, so it would be nice if they could be managed centrally instead of within each product.

2) I don’t need SKUs for each of these variations, so I figured these were just “custom options” in Magento.  If that is true, is it possible to adjust the weight based on an option?  For instance, a 6XL t-shirt is much heavier than a small t-shirt - and this has a significant affect on the shipping price.

If you have any ideas on how this would be best implemented, please let me know. 

Thanks in advance for your help!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Northern Voyageur

Total Posts:  50
Duluth, MN

Welcome to Magento! I’m migrating our Xcart store to Magento right now as well. I can tell you that Magento blows Xcart out of the water with features and doesn’t leave you high and dry if you customize it the right way.

Currently running Xcart
http://www.aerostich.com

It will be running Magento in a few months.

Magento Community
Magento Community

pgb315

Ha!  I figured I’d find a few other ex-X-cart-er’s here.  grin

Do you have any of these attribute dependencies in your products?  Do you know of a way to implement this in Magento?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Northern Voyageur

Duluth, MN

Magento handles variants different than Xcart. It sounds like you were using Modifiers in Xcart for these attributes?

In Magento you would have a simple product representing every kind of option. For example, the following would all be simple products with their attributes set accordingly and visible Nowhere

Ugly-Black-Small
Ugly-Black-Medium
Ugly-White-Medium
Ugly-White-Large
Pretty-Black-Small
Pretty-Black-Large

There are two ways to go about this.
1. Create all the simple products first, then the real configurable product that uses these simple products as its options.

-OR-

2. Create the real product and then click the Associated Products tag to add the simple products.

Either way… it’s just a mentality shift from Xcart’s Modifiers and Variants.

Personally I would not use Custom Options unless these are one off types of products with weird options that are not shared with other products.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Northern Voyageur

Duluth, MN

Try this for an example of option dependancy

http://mage.aerostich.com/aerostich-suits/roadcrafter/roadcrafter-jacket.html

Magento Community
Magento Community

pgb315

perfect… that’s exactly what i’m trying to do.  unfortunately, i can’t seem to figure out how you did it. 

how did you associate specific sub-options with each top level option? 

you’re right… it’s definitely a little different from x-cart.  but i’m sure that’s not a bad thing.  grin

thanks again.

Magento Community
Magento Community

pgb315

oh wait.  i think i finally got it!  i’ll have to play with this more tomorrow.

so is the weight of a configurable product the sum of the weight of the selected associated products?

Magento Community
Magento Community

pgb315

i’m making a lot of progress with this now.

why do each of the non-visible simple items have a mandatory price if that price isn’t used to calculate the price of the configurable item? 

example… the configurable item is a design that can be printed on t-shirts or sweatshirts, so the first option is t-shirt or sweatshirt.  the second option would then be size.  since it seems you can only set the markup pricing options in the “associated products” area (e.g. +$10 for a sweatshirt), it seems impossible to config it to have different costs for a 4XL t-shirt and a 4XL sweatshirt.

am i missing something?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community