Magento Forum

Cannot login in admin after upgrade from 1.6.2 to 1.7.0.2

IanRyan

Total Posts:  149

This morning I upgraded my development instance from magento CE v1.6.2 to magenbto CE v1.7.0.2 using Magento Connect. The upgrade completed successfully with no error output. I returned to admin from Magento Connect and selected System -> Cache Management. I noticed that I was now showing 2 ‘Web Services Configuration’ entries in the list of cache items - the first entry referred to ‘Web Services definition files (api.xml)’ as normal and was enabled; but there was also a new second entry which referred to ‘Web Services definition files (api2.xml)’ and was disabled. I logged out of admin.

Any attempt to login to admin now fails. The login page loads without issue but when I enter the username and password and click Login, nothing happens and there is no error response. I have checked the log files and there again appears to be no error output.

I have checked the cookie domains in mySQL and the cookie domains are set as they should be (in fact these were not changed by the upgrade install).

At a glance, everything appears to work as it should on the forntend.

Any help with this issue would be much appreciated.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

kalenjordan

Total Posts:  218
Pasadena, CA

Hey @IanRyan,

The second Web Services cache option is fine - api2.xml was introduced in 1.7, it’s the new REST API. 

I’ve seen this kind of thing happen before from having symlinks disabled - assuming you use symlinks for your theme or something.  But of course there’s no reason that an upgrade should cause that if it wasn’t happening before - but just check that.

I’m sure you’ve already checked to make sure developer_mode is on, display_errors is on, logging is enabled, and you’ve cleared cache a couple few times for good measure.  By the way, try simply deleting the var/cache/ directory - there is some DB schema stuff that won’t get cleared by Flushing Cache through the admin.

Check your PHP error log if you don’t have anything in system or exception. 

And of course, if you’re able to revert back to a fresh version of your staging instance prior to the upgrade, I’d go ahead and do that just to sanity check things.

p.s. We both have exactly 126 posts at the time of this posting.  Interesting smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

IanRyan

Total Posts:  149

Thanks for the reply.

Should the second Web Services cache in 1.7.0.2. be enabled? Before I logged out of admin (and couldn’t log back in) I noticed that this particular cache was disabled.

As regards my problems logging in to admin, mine is a multi-store setup. I have 2 stores each hosted on its own parent domain and I use symlinks to point store 2 to the relevant magento instance folders installed on store 1’s domain. Prior to the upgrade everything was working perfectly (including the configured symlinks of course).

When I ran the upgrade developer_mode was on, display_errors was enabled and logging was enabled. Following the upgrade I cleared cache multiple times and also deleted the contents of var/cache.

I have restored my 1.6.2 instance (and db) from backup and all is working again as normal (including all configured symlinks).

Any other suggestions as to what may be causing the issue with admin login after upgrade to 1.7.0.2 would be much appreciated.

Magento Community
Magento Community

kalenjordan

Total Posts:  218
Pasadena, CA

Crazy.  Glad that you had a backup to restore though.  Man, at this point I’d be stepping through it with my debugger.  I believe api2.xml cache should be enabled by default just like pretty much all the cache types.

Out of curiosity, how big is your database?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community