Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Setting up a development, staging and live work environment for magento

rhombus00

Total Posts:  1

Hello,

I’m developing a website for a company that has a development, testing and live work environment. They have 8 developers that will be making changes to the database and files at different times during the day.

My question is this, how would the data flow work? Is there an easy way to migrate changes from one server to the other? For example, i’m making changes to the website on the development server and I see everything is working well. I now want to push these changes to the staging server for testing. Once testing is all done, then push it from the staging server to the live server?

I’ve been looking everywhere, but haven’t found anything. Is this something that the enterprise edition has?

Any help with this would be great appreciated. Thanks
James Seals

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Vanquish

Total Posts:  24

This a standard mid-large sized project setup, however you are thinking of the enterprise products such as SAP which have transport facilities built-in. The best approach here is to make sure that all development and design work are in their own namespaces, you can then package these up and move them to the unit test/qa server, it is recommended to use version control here.

For the configuration settings the easiest is to document these and manually reapply them to each server when promoting the development and design namespaces.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community