Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

GeoIP at the City level? Cannot find suitable extension. 

BillRust

Total Posts:  43

Can anyone recommend a GeoIP extension that will redirect a user based on the MaxMind City level database?  Not Country, but City.

Example - A user in Cincinnati, Ohio would see a different store view than a user in St. Louis, Missouri.  We have 8 stores, all in different cities.  Have tried a couple extensions that advertise they can use the City database, but don’t actually do anything when that option is selected.  So we need to find one that works at the City level.

Thanks,
Bill

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1848

As a heads up, this is dependent on the ISP and the quality of the database. Depending on the day you check our fixed IP, my company’s located in Eugene or Portland dependent on routing which is 140 or 260 miles from home base.

Magento Community
Magento Community

BillRust

chiefair - 23 October 2012 06:35 AM

As a heads up, this is dependent on the ISP and the quality of the database. Depending on the day you check our fixed IP, my company’s located in Eugene or Portland dependent on routing which is 140 or 260 miles from home base.

Yeah.  We’re using the paid DB, so we have a little more control.  Also, there are only 2 stores within the same State, so we shouldn’t have any major conflicts in that regard. There is no perfect solution without coding it up by zip/known IP locale, and that would take days if not weeks to get done.

We just need close, and specific to City, as opposed to Country which is what most available extension seem to be limited to.

Bill

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sunovisio

Total Posts:  94
Ho Chi Minh

Hi BillRust,

I agree with chiefair. Will be quite difficult to find a correct database which can guarantee you a city based on IP (even in USA).

If your customer is logged in and has some address filled in, it will not a hell to use GPS (google map api for example) to locate him. However if it is a guest customer, I am not sure you can get it running correctly.

In our side, we have a tracker installed on our extension shop to get the country and city of our visitor depending on their IP. However we cannot match correctly our detection with google analytic detection.

I guess that google analytic has better results than us so maybe working on google analytic api may give some better results.

Magento Community
Magento Community

vjtemplates
Guru

Total Posts:  408
Washington, USA

We have an extension that can redirect users based on their country or state or city or IP to a selected store.

Country/State/City/IP-To-Store

Magento Community
Magento Community

bestobdii

Total Posts:  10

GeoIP at the City level? Cannot find suitable extension

http://www.shopobd2.com

Magento Community
Magento Community

BillRust

vjtemplates - 18 November 2012 04:20 PM

We have an extension that can redirect users based on their country or state or city or IP to a selected store.

Country/State/City/IP-To-Store

Curious to see this, but the demo button does not work on your site, and there are no buttons or links I see to purchase it.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community