Magento Forum

Yes, How Do I ?? 

AnnaM
Guru

Total Posts:  325
San Francisco

I may be rather dense, but as great as this demo looks etc, I have installed the software,and am in the admin area, the “backend”, and don’t have the vaguest notion how to go about setting up anything.

I have looked there and on this site, for some sort of documentation, but haven’t found any. Can someone point me to a manual of some type, or a ez startup guide.  I see categories, add new etc, but seems you would have to build the db after doing so, but I see no way to do that.

I also do not want my home page to be /magento I naturally want it to be the url of my site/index.html or index.php etc, but don’t want magento in my path.  Is there a startup guide for us less than brilliant people?  It really looks like a super product and am anxious to get going with it.  I appreciate any help
Anna

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Lior
Magento Team

Total Posts:  293

Hi Anna,

A good start will be reading the Knowledge Base (http://www.magentocommerce.com/knowledge-base) and watching screen cast (http://www.magentocommerce.com/media/screencasts)
I am sure that it will answer lots of your questions, but feel free to post any questions that will come up.

Magento Community
Magento Community

AnnaM
Guru

Total Posts:  325
San Francisco

Ok thank you Lior, the KB looks to have at least a few key articles to getting started. And will watch the video. I appreciate it.
Anna

Magento Community
Magento Community

Travis

Total Posts:  125

Yeah, the screencasts are a great place to start.  The Varien crew has covered a good amount of core features that you’d need to know to operate a Magento store in those videos.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community