Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Custom price for grouped products

webrightnow

Total Posts:  65
Glasgow

Ok, this feature seems really obvious and easy to implement but as yet it doesn’t seem to exist.

I sell three DVD titles separately for $20 each. I want to also sell them together as a set. The customer expects a saving for buying more titles together, so I want the price of the whole set to be $50 instead of $60. Can it be done? Not at the moment, because there are no price options for grouped products. Erm.. why? The Magento wiki answer is: create a shopping cart rule. That’s not going to work for me, I want the price that’s showing in product lists to be $50, instead of having to litter the site with notices of “buy those three titles together, you’ll get $10 off at chechout”. Not an option.

So far I got around this by making the set a simple product. The major problem with that is inventory: my individual titles and my sets of three are linked to the same stock, I don’t want to physically separate the sets from the single titles because I can’t predict what is going to sell more. So I am having to update my stock all the time to avoid certain items going out of stock when they are not, or selling items that are actually out of stock. Nightmare… Surely allowing us to set a custom price for grouped products is the really, really obvious answer? Or am I missing something here?

Thanks.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

mariotanner

Total Posts:  8

Hi, it’s really easy to implement what you are trying to do. You can accomplish this easily by adding tier prices to your products. And if you want to include three different products then you can create a bundle of all those products and then add tier price to that product. Here is a great tutorial on how you can add tier price in your store.

http://magerts.com/set-up-tier-pricing-in-magento-to-boost-up-your-packaged-deals/

Hope it helps.

Magento Community
Magento Community

allanwebix

Total Posts:  11

Thanks for the link…

Magento Community
Magento Community

webrightnow

Glasgow

Hi, thanks for the link but unfortunately the method you suggest doesn’t really accomplish what I am trying to do. Bundle products allow customers to select which products they want to add to the bundle: with this system, if I create a bundle of three DVDs, customers would be able to purchase anything between 1 and 3 DVDs depending on their selection. I don’t want to allow this level of flexibility, I just want to create a grouped product made up of 3 products of my choice and apply a special price to this grouped product. Also, this price needs to show in product lists as a normal, individual price, which doesn’t happen with tier prices. Unless I misunderstood your solution.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Peppermay

Total Posts:  111
Lille, France

Hi WebRightNow.
I’m like you: I really don’t understand why Magento doesn’t propose an easy way to configure a simple set of products the way many sellers do. In one hand, you have the “grouped product” but no way to set a tier price for it and in the other hand you have the “bundled product” where you can set tier price but where buyers can also “split” the set as they want !
I’ve been googling this issue for a long time without finding any pertinent answer.
To get what I want, I had to quite deeply edit the bundle price and tierprice templates as well as the price block class in a way that “bundled products” are not buyer-side customizable anymore but still enable tier price like a simple product. But this remains a dirty way to get this, as it will certainly interfere with future Magento versions.
If somebody has a better way to get this, I’m also interested with !

Magento Community
Magento Community

webrightnow

Glasgow

Thanks Peppermay, at least it’s good to know I am not the only one who has been scratching their head over this (I didn’t think I was).

Look, I realize that Magento, despite its many features, can’t be expected to cater for every single seller’s individual needs. God knows I’ve had to adapt it time and time again to make it work for different clients.

I also know that there are plenty of premium extensions that deliver additional functionality.

All the same, I feel that the way the developers placed a restriction on setting custom prices for grouped products is at best confusing, at worst just flawed. They have given us a great feature with grouped products, then they have limited its usefuleness for no good reason by disabling price options.

I for one certainly hope this issue is addressed with future releases, but I am not holding my breath. There is a long list of feature requests and something tells me this one would not be anywhere near the top. Besides now that eBay have acquired Magento under the x.Commerce umbrella, I fear a lot is going to change in the way the platform is controlled and distributed. What used to be a true open-source system that welcomed contributions from the whole web community, may soon be reduced to yet another corporation tool, maybe still free to download, but certainly not “free” in its development or its purposes.

For the time being I’m just happy that Magento exists (with all its many flaws) and as always, I’ll just have to “make do”.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Peppermay

Total Posts:  111
Lille, France

Nothing to add, WRN.  wink

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community