Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Permissions when upgrading…

fastboxgaming

Total Posts:  101

I currently use siteground, which allows maximum permissions of 755. I didnt figure this out until the last time I tried to upgrade Magento, but after I decided to do a fresh install.

My question:  When using magento connect or ftp to upgrade, what is the best way of making the permissions 755? Do I have to manually go in and change each file that was upgraded? Or can I set magento connect to automatically make them 755 instead of the default which is 777?

Joel

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

Total Posts:  1158

To reset the permissions after an upgrade, run these commands from a shell via SSH:

(Make sure you are in the Magento root directory first).

find . -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
find . -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;

There is currently no way to have Magento Connect use chmod 755 automatically as far as I know, which is bad coding practice and a security issue in my opinion.

Magento Community
Magento Community

fastboxgaming

755 is a security issue????

Can you give me an example of a shell. I have read some things referring to this before, but I’m am not familiar with this as I have learned on my own and currently use FTP.

Joel

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

fastboxgaming - 22 January 2009 11:57 AM

755 is a security issue????

No, I was referring to 777 permissions.

fastboxgaming - 22 January 2009 11:57 AM

Can you give me an example of a shell. I have read some things referring to this before, but I’m am not familiar with this as I have learned on my own and currently use FTP.

You need SSH/shell access to be able to use it. It is a command line based way of interfacing with your server. Use a SSH client like Putty to connect to SSH.

Magento Community
Magento Community

fastboxgaming

Siteground does not allow use of SSH for their shared hosting, which I’m using. Is there any other way to fix these permissions after an upgrade? Or should I just manually go in and try to change it all from 777 to 755?
Joel

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

If you don’t have SSH access, you need to use an FTP client or possibly an online file manager (if available) to change the permissions. It can be a tedious process. Some FTP clients allow permission changes to be applied recursively (to subfolders/files). You can try that.

Alternatively, you may contact you host to have them reset the permissions for you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

colin008

Total Posts:  84

If you don’t have SSH access use FlashFXP to change permissions.

It was the only ftp program i found that once set with different file/folder permissions it then can skip through ALL files and ALL folders to set permissions automatically.  It saved me hours....!

Magento Community
Magento Community

fastboxgaming

I guess i’ll just stick with filezilla which allows files to be recursed into subdirectories.
Joel

Magento Community
Magento Community

cntbill

Total Posts:  107
PA

fastboxgaming - 24 January 2009 05:12 AM

I guess i’ll just stick with filezilla which allows files to be recursed into subdirectories.
Joel

I used FileZilla and it worked for me but took some time. You might want to ask your host to reset the premmissions as some will do that for you and it will take only a a few minutes.

Magento Community
Magento Community

fastboxgaming

yeah, filezilla works great. I just highlight everything and change all files and directories. Walk away, come back in 30 minutes and its done! Worked great on .3 upgrade!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community