Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

CSS issue

maGhost

Total Posts:  12

Hello!

Sorry if I am starting the topic already discussed. I couldn’t find the answer to my question.
I have done a research on speeding up Magento and they recommend to optimise images and create CSS sprites.
So, first, has anyone done it? Did it influence the performance?
Second, how to create CSS sprites and wheere do I put the file?

Thanks for help to everyone!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

WiseDucks

Total Posts:  25

CSS sprites will always speed up any type of installation, it saves downloading a large number of files. Basically combine all your images (that you are including into your template) and call the same image for each background, icon and what else you could be using an image in your template for. Then you change the position of the background using background-position: thus changing the image.

Hope this helps.

Magento Community
Magento Community

maGhost

Thanks, guys! How do I check whether I’ve done everything correctly?

Magento Community
Magento Community

JHopkins

Total Posts:  9

Hi! CSS sprites did help me to speed up the website. I am not really sure how to check whether it\’s correct, I had my site developed. But here\’s the extension to check an optimise the store performance including CSS, Java, HTTP requests, maybe it\’ll be of any help to you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

maGhost

I’ve finally had it figured out! Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community