Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Importing complex products

cshontz

Total Posts:  91

I’m currently using a custom e-commerce app, and plan to switch to Magento. Our MySQL database contains two key tables, a “products” table, and an “applications” table. The products table is a container for the applications, and each product contains multiple applications.

Product table contains:
product_id = unique identifier (NOT sku)
product_name
product_description

Application table contains:
product_id = for product table relationship
part_number
part_description = “red, green, blue, large, small, etc”
part_price

Is it possible for me to import products that are stored using this logic to Magento, using Magento’s built-in functions? I’ve messed with the import/export feature in the admin menu, and importing basic product data seems like it’d be easy enough, but how I might import multiple SKU’s into one product is not obvious to me. We have thousands of “products”, but very few of those products consist of just one part number.

I appreciate your suggestions! smile

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

In Magento terms the records in Product table would be Configurable Superproducts, and entries in Application table - Simple products.

We are currently working on implemeting import for superproducts.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Total Posts:  333
Northwest Ohio

I’m currently in the same boat with one of my M projects.

The client sells different types of hoses for commercial and industrial applications, and one class of hose (superproduct) has many different sizes, material types, part numbers, etc (simple products). This seems to work fine, but it’s time consuming without some kind of import for the super and sub products together. Hopefully this will be released with the next version.

smile

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community