Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

direct linking to product from category

djdjoko

Total Posts:  7

Hello all,
I have a magento store with three configurable products. I would like to create for each product a category. When clicking on each category I would like to show the product immediately. Currently when I click on the category all existing products are shown. Since I only have one product per category I would like to spare the users the clicking.
Is this linking somehow possible?
Thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

tzyganu
Mentor

Total Posts:  2205
Bucharest, Romania

If you don’t need the categories, why don’t you replace the default menu with one generated from products.
Here is a quick example.

<?php $collection

->addAttributeToSelect(Mage::getSingleton('catalog/config')->getProductAttributes())
            ->
addUrlRewrite();

Mage::getSingleton('catalog/product_status')->addVisibleFilterToCollection($collection);

Mage::getSingleton('catalog/product_visibility')->addVisibleInCatalogFilterToCollection($collection);
?>
<?php 
if ($collection->count()) : ?>
<ul>
<?php foreach ($collection as $product) : ?>
<li><a href="<?php echo $product->getProductUrl();?>"><?php echo $product->getName();?></a></li>
<?php endforeach;?>
</ul>
<?php endif;?>

Marius.

Magento Community
Magento Community

djdjoko

Hello Marius,
thank you for you quick reply. I am a complete magento beginner. Could you just tell me to which file to add it?
Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

djdjoko

The other thing I realized is that in the future I will have a standard category with multiple products. So just linking one category name directly to the product would be the best solution (if possible)

Magento Community
Magento Community

tzyganu
Mentor

Total Posts:  2205
Bucharest, Romania

If you plan to have categories with products also then this approach is not good.
But just in case you can add this to app/design/frontend/{interface}/{theme}/template/catalog/navigation/top.phtml

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community