Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Permanently redirect a live top-level category to another live sub-category

jamesbarber

Total Posts:  33

Hi,

I would like to permanently redirect a live top-level category to another live sub-category.

I can get this working fine by setting up;

Under Catalog -> URL Rewrite Management, a ‘custom’ URL rewrite as a Permanent (301) redirect on the particular store view we would like, using the ID Path as the path to the category we want to redirect for example ‘category/21’, the Request Path as the URL key for the category we want to redirect, and then the Target Path as the sub-category we are redirecting to.

However this custom URL rewrite keeps getting overwritten by a “system” URL rewrite which just points the category back to itself, this happens when the catalog URL rewrite is re-indexed.

I have now been told that permanently redirecting a live top-level category to another live sub-category is impossible, you can only do this when a category has been disabled - is this correct? Or is it just the case that I need to follow slightly different steps to the above, or change a setting somewhere?

Just to add, we are using Magento Enterprise Edition.

Your advice would be most appreciated, thanks in advance!

James.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

jamesbarber

Hi,

Would anyone be able to help me with this please?

Many thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

mhannam

Total Posts:  4

I\’m having the exact same problem...the redirect that I create reverts back when the site is indexed.  Help!

Magento Community
Magento Community

jamesbarber

Hi,

I was just wondering whether anyone might be able to provide any advice or assistance with this issue please?

Thank you in advance.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community