Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Want to try Magento ? Read this first

BlueMe

Total Posts:  5

For anyone who wants to try this “platform” I suggest you look at something else. This has to be the worst platform I’ve ever used.

No plugins, no informative forum, not user friendly, no language support and the list can go on.

This are some of the things I’ve encountered when I’ve first used Magento:

- no easy to find plugins (like a video slider) (asked countless times, most options are to write your own code)
- a mess of a backend, very slow feel and performance and things look like they are just trowed in there (read reviews)
- unable to log on to admin account ... for no apparent reason (reported before)
- thousands upon thousands of files to browse trough if you want to edit something

And i didn’t even got started, this is just from the first 2 days, I just hope I will manage to move the site from offline without much trouble.

I don’t have any background knowledge about Magento, this was the first time I’ve used it, and surely the last, but from what I see this started as an open source project and evolved more into an enterprise thing ..

Good things come for free and from sharing, when you go for the money it starts to suck hard!

Aaand I’m not your average user wich quits easily, when I want something done, it’s done, this is just to clear the things about me as a user.

Anyway thank you but I just can’t wait to finish the site I’m working on and get it over with !

As an advice, before you try something new, make sure you inform yourself about it FIRST, I never had the chance to do it because my client was in a hurry and he wanted a certain template wich happened to be a Magento one.

Best regards and a puff of inspiration to the Magento community,
Dragos

PS: is captcha really needed to post a thread or even edit it ?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

MagenX
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  791
Dublin

- no easy to find plugins (like a video slider) (asked countless times, most options are to write your own code)
today you can find any extension you want
- a mess of a backend, very slow feel and performance and things look like they are just trowed in there (read reviews)
what are you talking about?? dont you think that even sport car to become a sport car needs some tuning???
- unable to log on to admin account ... for no apparent reason (reported before)
this is your personal problem, but believe me i had this kind of things with every software i ever used,
lockdowns, errors, etc

- thousands upon thousands of files to browse trough if you want to edit something
first of all if you dont know where is your file, its not a magento problem, ever heard of “text search” plugins/software?
i use old good total commander and notepad ++

this explains everything:

And i didn’t even got started, this is just from the first 2 days....

and captcha real suck here!!!!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

BlueMe

MagenX - 04 October 2012 06:51 AM

today you can find any extension you want

Ok, then can you please kindly recommend one (free) that cand add images and videos ?

what are you talking about?? dont you think that even sport car to become a sport car needs some tuning???

Agree but to be a sport car and not a race car (with lots of gadgets) you have to somehow have all the options under the disguise of one/two gears.

IMO it’s too bloated, and not that intuitive, I mean .. maybe this is because it was my first time using it, but I didnt find the interface easy to browse… maybe some icons would have fixed my view.

this is your personal problem, but believe me i had this kind of things with every software i ever used,
lockdowns, errors, etc

Not just my “personal problem” do a google search and you’ll see. It happens with all browsers. Luckily I had Firefox to remember the login, and this is how I managed to log in. Initially I was trying to log-in with Opera (just installed, not tweaked or anything) but it didn’t work with none of the admin accounts.

And this problem was spotted since 1.4 and now it’s 1.7.2 ... personally whenever I develop something I tend to look for eventual problems and later if they do appear correct the code into a more solid one. That’s if I’m in a hurry or something like that.
So from v 1.4 to 1.7.2 there was more than enough time to change the code, unless the developers where not aware of the possible bug, wich IMO it’s like test code.

Whenever you write a code, you have to know most if not all about the platform target.
For example, I code software for Windows and whenever I do so I make sure first that I start with these guidelines:

- that i code with simplicity in mind
- that’s compatible with older or newer version and if that’s not possible, notice the user about it.
- prevent errors and possible bugs by knowing the sistem target very well and if an error occurs show the user where exactly did it occur and why, if possible
- better not implement it if you have doubts about it
- aply as much as versatility and customization possible, until one cand make your software.. his software by personalizing it to his needs and preference.

first of all if you dont know where is your file, its not a magento problem, ever heard of “text search” plugins/software?
i use old good total commander and notepad ++

I know that, and I used a string search utility but it tooked some good seconds to find the text I was looking for (this means not productive)
I’ve mentioned this because I’m a software developer as well, and when I design something I try to make it as tidy as possible. One file, portable, small and fast. I don’t know how to write code for magento because I didn’t look into it, but from experience good software is kept simple.

Now I know that you can’t compare an EXE and settings file with platform as Magento (wich needs far more than one file to save it’s settings and not only) but the amount of files it’s like ... more that an OS (Windows 7 for example has something like 14.000 files with all common programs installed, like Word, PS, Dreamweaver, Adobe Reader and many more)
For example my Magento installation along with my theme (268 files) has 14.025 files (and countless useless folder structure)

and captcha real suck here!!!!!

I hate captcha too smile

PS: maybe I seem too drastic on criticizing but this is my view on it.
PS2: for a project like this .. there should be at least language support, if it is to be advertised as “the fastest growing platform” wich I personally believe that it’s just marketing BS.

Have a nice journey in life and remember: “simple, makes your life easier”

Best regards,
Dragos

Magento Community
Magento Community

BlueMe

WHAT DO YOU KNOW !?

On my deadline I’ve finished the site and now I CAN’T ADD products OMFG ... let alone move it online :((

I get “Blocks HTML Cache invalidated” and AGAIN I’m not the only one, tens of users have the same F* problem!

You people should be doing something else if you don’t know how to code a damn thing, this has to be one of the most horrible things I’ve used!

Magento = 2 % development, quite dead.

SOOO WHAT DO WE LEARN ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

vjtemplates
Guru

Total Posts:  408
Washington, USA

All CMS platforms are complex and complicated. It will take a while to master it. Magento is very powerful for ecommerce sites. Besides, don’t forget, it’s free and open source.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community