Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Attribute Lables

mister

Total Posts:  42

I have a clothing store and I have setup attributes to record the clothing sizes.  T-shirts use different sizes than my jeans do.  T-shirts use small, medium, and large, whereas jeans have a size number, 28, 30, 32, 34, etc.

I have setup two different attributes, size_tshirts with a drop down with the small, medium and large options.
I have done the same thing for jeans, only I have named the attribute size_jeans with the options being 28, 30, 32, 34, etc.

For both products, I have set the title (under Manage Label / Options) to ‘Size’.
The problem is when I browse my products they say ‘size-tshirt’ and ‘size-jeans’ instead of just ‘Size’.

How can I get the product page to say only ‘Size’ as the attribute label?  I don’t want it to say ‘size-tshirt’ and ‘size-jeans’?  That isn’t very customer friendly.

Thanks!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

mister

Just to give everyone a few more details on my matter:

I did a search in my database for ‘size-tshirt’ and it was found in to of the database tables:
- catalog_product_super_attribute_label
- core_translate

When I looked through the records in core_translate I found two records.  Below is the details for the two records found:
First Record:
- key_id: 6
- string: Mage_Catalog::size-tshirt
- store_id: 0
- translate: size-tshirt
- locale: en_US

Second Record:
- key_id: 7
- string: Mage_Catalog::size-tshirt
- store_id: 1
- translate: Sizes
- locale: en_US

Are there two stores setup and I am using the incorrect store?
When I select to manage my stores from the backend, there is only one store listed.

Please help, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

mister

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this issue?

Does anyone even read the Magento forums?

Magento Community
Magento Community

mister

Anyone?  Is anyone out there?  Anyone at all?

Magento Community
Magento Community

mister

Hello?

*Echo* *echo* *echo* *echo*

Magento Community
Magento Community

mister

*bump*

Hello?

*Echo* *echo* *echo* *echo*

Magento Community
Magento Community

Allzouk

Total Posts:  2

You have to check your attribute options.

At the top you have some options like
administrator main shop, storeview

there you can put in the name you want to show your customers.

I hope this solved your problem!

Best regards,
Vanessa
http://www.allzouk.com
http://www.miss-salsa.nl

Magento Community
Magento Community

mister

We have given up on Magento.  Magento is way to slow to get anything done and the amount of features that worked poorly, if at all made it even more difficult to work with.  The template system that Magento decided to use is horrible!  Not to mention that there is almost no help what so ever when you run into trouble, unless you pay for support from Magento.  Lame!  There should be at least some basic support.  If anyone is reading this trying to work with or figure out if they should with Magento, seriously, go elsewhere!  We are now taking a close look at CS Cart.  They actually have a directory/theme system that makes sense.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MageParts
Guru

Total Posts:  415

I’ve seen a couple of posts around here with outbursts like the one above. It’s kinda sad to see people giving up on a great product so quickly. Now I can understand people being frustrated when they don’t get an answer, been there myself. But the reason to why you didn’t get help was probably because you didn’t take the time to search the forum yourself. I searched for “creating attributes”, clicked on the “knowledge base” tab and this is what I found: http://www.magentocommerce.com/knowledge-base/entry/tutorial-creating-attributes-custom-fields. A tutorial explaining everything there is to know about creating and modifying attributes. Took me about 10 seconds to find it.

Second off, any feature which you don’t like to view, whether it would be because it’s disturbing you or if it’s just not necessary for your business needs, can be turned off in Magento.

Magento’s theme structure makes perfect sense and I’m sure there are several guides explaining that as well. However if you have trouble with it I’d be happy to explain it. Just drop me a PM and I’ll do my best to help.

Hope that helps wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

mister

If there are other outburst like mine, than it goes to prove that I am not the only one feeling this way.  I have searched, over and over, and I get little to no help.  I know how to add attributes, I was able to do it just fine, but when some of the products say the attribute label is one thing, and a different product using the same attribute set, says another, there is something wrong with Magento!

As for being able to turn features off, that isn’t the problem, it is the fact that some of the features are lacking or just plain do not work.  How about the newsletter...good luck sending one out.  How about the email a friend, that didn’t work either.  Well, technically it sent and email, but it didn’t include the product in the email!  Pointless!  Or how about when I want to upload an image, but I cant because I don’t have the exact version of the Flash player installed?!?  That is a difficult feature to try and sell to the client, “No, I swear you can upload, but first I need to upgrade/downgrade your flash player on all of your machines.” You do not need Flash to upload files via PHP.  Why in the world would the developers think that this was a good feature.  It is a horrible feature at best.  If they want it so it shows a percentage of the upload, first, they are images, you don’t need a progress bar, second, then use AJAX.  I don’t want to turn things off, I just want them to work!

The themes make no sense what so ever.  There are files EVERYWHERE!  In order to modify a simple page, you might have to modify a dozen files.  Magento is bloated and slow as syrup in January.

I appreciate your help and thoughts, it is just to little, to late.  We gave up on Magento, and honestly, I think many more people will to.  It is great that it is free, but in this case, you get what you pay for.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MageParts
Guru

Total Posts:  415

I can see your point. Me myself have been cursing the flash upload functionality more then once. It seems rather pointless as it could add a heap of problems. However I’m sure that the core team wouldn’t have put it there without reason. Remember, they are marketing this product themselves. The newsletter should have a proper “Send” action, and many have been complaining about this as well. I’m not sure but I think it will be fixed in the future. However the newsletter will send just fine if you fix your crontab.

As for the themes, in case you are still interested, or if someone else is:

app/code/design/frontend/default/default/templates <- These files contains HTML and PHP code used on the front side of your store. They interact directly with blocks and helpers in their module directories.

app/code/core/Mage <- Location of all module directories

app/code/design/frontend/default/default/layout <- Files describing the layout structure (XML format) of the front.

app/code/design/adminhtml/default/default/templates <- Template files for the administration.
app/code/design/adminhtml/default/default/layouts <- Layout files for the administration.

skin/frontend/default/ <- CSS & images for the frontend
skin/adminhtml/default <- CSS & images for the administration

Magento Community
Magento Community

mister

Bockbertil - 10 February 2009 04:05 AM

I can see your point. Me myself have been cursing the flash upload functionality more then once. It seems rather pointless as it could add a heap of problems. However I’m sure that the core team wouldn’t have put it there without reason. Remember, they are marketing this product themselves. The newsletter should have a proper “Send” action, and many have been complaining about this as well. I’m not sure but I think it will be fixed in the future. However the newsletter will send just fine if you fix your crontab.

The flash upload is pointless and cause more problems than benefits and the developers are to proud to swallow their pride and admin that it just plain sucks!

As for the themes, in case you are still interested, or if someone else is:

app/code/design/frontend/default/default/templates <- These files contains HTML and PHP code used on the front side of your store. They interact directly with blocks and helpers in their module directories.

I understand this, but it is still problematic.  I know PHP pretty well, so I thought that Magento couldn’t be that hard to pick up.  There is PHP and HTML mixed all over the place, that is poor design right away.  Haven’t they heard of separating the views from the logic?

app/code/core/Mage <- Location of all module directories

Again, I shouldn’t have to be an amazing PHP developer to work with Magento.

app/code/design/frontend/default/default/layout <- Files describing the layout structure (XML format) of the front.

XML files for layout?!?  WTF!?!  This is my biggest problem, it made no sense what so ever and the documentation is piss poor.

app/code/design/adminhtml/default/default/templates <- Template files for the administration.
app/code/design/adminhtml/default/default/layouts <- Layout files for the administration.

You will need to dig through a few thousand files to find the template file you are looking for...and even then, you will probably just find a piece of code like this:

<?php
$this
->getChildHtml();?>
?>
Useless!

skin/frontend/default/ <- CSS & images for the frontend
skin/adminhtml/default <- CSS & images for the administration

Ah, CSS, the only thing they didn’t manage to completely mess up and make ungodly confusing.

Honestly, Magento sucks and the sooner you come to terms with that the better.  We switched and we are already getting back to the point that we had gotten to with Magento.  We had used Magento for two months!  And new new system for two weeks!  So, Magento is slow for development and slow in general.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ytra

Total Posts:  4

Recently I started using Magento and felt similar as mister is crying out. After spending some time digging through the user manual and the design manual and some forums I was getting nearer and nearer to understanding it more and more. Now I am also a beginner in PHP, XML and MySQL so here and there the learning curve was pretty steep.  But the trick with Magento is to take your time to understand the architecture and the template framework. Maybe it doesn’t always seem that logical but I can live with that.

When I read the comments of mister I see a user who is merely fighting and argueing of what he sees. Well I have been using and looking in to a bunch of other products Oscommerce, Joomla icw Virtuemart, Cubecart and so on. The only product that is able to offer a full featured system which can be altered to everybody his/her wishes is Magento. When I see the amount of trouble/limitations I experienced with the older products like oscommerce and joomla and compare it with the relatively young Magento than I must compliment the developers. Sure Magento isn’t superfast yet but mister should search the forums better because on that part I agree with Bockbertil.

I fear mister has overestimated his PHP skills and should he come to terms with that fact instead of shouting to the Magento community who wanted to help him.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community