Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

New Magento Categories do not show in front/admin

tomharding

Total Posts:  63

Hi,

Having some trouble with some categories. It’s annoyingly weird and I can’t get my head around it.

We’re adding new categories via Store Manager and in the Admin area and they don’t appear in certain parts of the site.

I digress:

Places they don’t appear

Admin > category manager
Admin > product category manager
Front Page > Sidebar Navigation Menu Pro

Places they DO appear

Sitemap
Front Page > http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/vertical-navigation-with-css-classes.html]Vertnav Menu
Magento Store Manager

That’s the weird thing. Any new categories I create only follow those rules above. I even created a new one directly from the admin, saved it, and it disappeared! It did still appear in the places it should do (I had to delete it via store manager).

One pattern I did notice is that cats with a value greater than 600 are the ones which don’t appear.

I should say though that I do have 10,000 products with 12 store views. Got a feeling the reindexing could have something to do with that.

Additionally additionally, I have tried the negative child count SQL fix.

Can anyone provide any insight here?

Thanks forever,
Tom x

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Store_Manager
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  867

Hello, Tom.

Actually, having checked your example, I suppose that this issue is connected with your Magento installation itself. It requires specific investigation.
Generally, we do not provide the services on shopping cart itself, but for you we will make an exception since you are our client and use our software.
Please, contact us directly here and provide us the examples of products which are not reflecting need also we need your credentials to check what we can do.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tomharding

Total Posts:  63

Ok, it appears my problem has been solved. It’s linked to 2 problems I’ve posted about:

Not being able to add to cart anymore.
Custom Options not working properly

Apparently someone had edited a file within the varien files, quoting out some code, rendering some database queries useless. So I\’d advise anyone with backups of their site to compare the core folders and see what’s different within those areas.

It\’s a stupid problem to have, it’s cost me and my bosses a LOT of money to solve, but there. I hope no-one else has to go through what I went through.

Thanks,
Tom

Magento Community
Magento Community

Store_Manager
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  867

Thank you for your post submission. I guess sharing the solution you received can be helpful for other forum users.
For those who do not have the backups of the stores locally, they can contact hosting provides, they usually do backups from time to time.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community