Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Is it possible to upgrade Magento from version 1.2.1 all the way to 1.7.0

antonio_pereira

Total Posts:  2

Hello All,

Im new to magento and my employer has landed the following task on me: I am to find a way to upgrade Magento from 1.2.1 to 1.7.0.

Is this possible at this stage and if so how can I do it ?

Thanks in advance!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

antonio_pereira

Total Posts:  2

Thank you, i will keep on reading.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MagenX
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  791
Dublin

i think its just a waste of time.
for you is easier to install new magento 1.7 and import your products and users.
you will get clean working shop,
then you have to modify your theme as well.

do not go through upgrade process.

then if you need, import your orders history and statistics, etc.

Magento Community
Magento Community

CT Schubert

Total Posts:  197
Southern California

It’s possible I suppose if you were to upgrade gradually. (from 1.2.x to 1.3.x to 1.4.x, so on and so forth). Keep in mind what 3rd party modules you have as well as knowing that once you hit 1.4.x there are some template changes to take into account.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

Total Posts:  1158

If you are not using a lot of (outdated) 3. party extensions or code customizations it should not be that hard. You will first have to upgrade to v1.4, then to 1.7 which uses a new pear updater. The most common issues arise from incomplete database upgrade so make sure no one is accessing the store while the upgrade process is running (block access by IP, chmod or similar). I recommend using ssh/command line for the upgrade process.

And as always, make sure to create backups!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Extendware

Total Posts:  231

Upgrading Magento is a breeze. The issue is your 3rd party extensions / theme. I would DEFINITELY do it on a test server first. Or even disable all 3rd party extensions, update, and then start with a fresh 1.7 install with the updated DB. Then add the extensions you need.

Magento Community
Magento Community

bashen

Total Posts:  27
Eindhoven

I did an upgrade from 1.4.0 to 1.4.2 and then to 1.7.0.2 this weekend.

It took me 14 hours in total with a lot of testing. The biggest problems I had were:

- missing tables when running the normal upgrade routines
- incorrect constraints in the database
- template issues with an old template
- 3rd party plugins that needed an update or re-installation

Overal I feel confident in doing it again it took me 2 hours in preparation in a test env. Another 1 hour in upgrading. 2 hours in testing and then doing it again from 1.4.2 to 1.7. After that I need 2 hours to get in back to the live server (a large upload) but in the end it is running like never before.

Client is happy with all the previous bugs gone but I learned 2 things:

- Test, test, test
- run it on a separate environment and upload it to the live environment afterwards

My 2 cents; I would go for 1.7 directly because 1.2 is really old....

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community