Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How to import a list of 2000 products? 

torontob

Total Posts:  8

Hi Everyone,

First post here, trying to get a grip of Magento 1.7.x. I am familiar with Linux and my install server is fully accessible. I have an Excel sheet list from distributor with fields such as catagory, item name, item picture url, item short description, item long description, etc…

What is the de-facto practice for uploading thousands of products into Magento?

I also have access to XML version of the same sheet. I am not looking for anything real-time but it would be great to be able to update quantities based on the list on nightly basis.

Please guide.

Thanks,

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

BelVG
Guru

Total Posts:  306
Minsk, Belarus

Any information about the item you can change by import process (System - Import/Export - Advanced Profiles). We advice to make the import of 1 item for the beginiing to see how the attributes are mapped in csv or xml file. Check your data files and format them the same way. Them you can just import products - new products will be created and existing ones will be updated. This is the main idea.

Often there are a lot of products to import and process can handle too long. in this case every particular situation should be developed separately.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Store_Manager
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  867

Hi there,

If you have the file from the distributor and need to update your store with products and products information on some timely bases, I can offer you the applications - Store Manager for Magento and its addon called Automated Products import.

Those 2 products in combination allow you to set scheduled update and each time period you want - for example each night at 3 am.
Also you will be able to set your own price-mark ups if you need to set higher price than your supplier provides you. Using offered applications you can directly via import assign products to certain categories. You can import all types of products from simple to complex (configurable, grouped and bundled). If you also need to import images from your distributor, the software will also handles it in case you have image URLs.
The software accepts .csv file format, but if you have Excel file, it won’t be an issue, since you can use save as option in Excel and save it in .csv for suitable for import.

There is 2-weeks free trial version of both Store Manager and Automated products import addon. You can download it here -
http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/store-manager-for-magento.html

If you further decide to use the solutions, they are paid ones, but you purchase once and than use the license live-time.

Hope it is what you was looking for.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Patrick_27

Total Posts:  6

I think in your situation this thing must be helpful. Using it i’ve imported almost 1 million of entities without a problem. Also it has a scheduled import easily.

Magento Community
Magento Community

torontob

Total Posts:  8

How about importing using .csv file. What are the mandatory columns that I have to add and what are the options available to me?

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

WielkoDuch

Total Posts:  16
Pleszew - Polska

Maybe you should also try Magento Mass Importer, seems to be nice tool and it’s still alive (Last Update: 2012-09-20)

Magento Community
Magento Community

Store_Manager
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  867

Hello,

How about importing using .csv file. What are the mandatory columns that I have to add and what are the options available to me?

If you mean Magento admin, there the required fields are those which are on default required, check this article on that -
http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/3_-_store_setup_and_management/import_export/export_tool
and also those which you yourself marked as required (you yourself can make all the attributes are required or vice versa).

As for Store Manage, the only field required for import is SKU for identification. All the other field values can be created on a fly during import process.

If you need my assistance, please, let me know.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community