Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Products not showing up in back/front end after import

abijah

Total Posts:  130

I did what everyone suggested by creating some products via the magento GUI and then exporting them. I made sure that all of the headers were being exported so that I could see them all.

Anyway, I did a test import of 5 products and while they show up in the import folder, and the Import All Products profile history shows that they were uploaded - or at least that the profile was updated - the products are not showing up in the back end. I’ve tried using the Search By Example filter to pull them up, but the only products I see are the ones I previously created through Magento’s GUI.

Any ideas as to why the products are not showing up? I’m exporting and importing in CSV.

PS. my import pages starts to upload but never gives me a message saying that the import was successful. However, it appears that they have uploaded as the file is in the Import folder on my server. Again any ideas?

Thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

abijah

SisterTwised,

Yes I did. I’m sorry if I didn’t make that clear. That’s what my “PS” was referring to. When I run the profile it says “Please don’t close this window...blablah”, but it doesn’t show a message saying that it successfully uploaded. Which is weird, because the files is in the upload folder on my server, so it appears that it did upload. And the profile history page shows that the profile was updated and that the profile was run. But the products aren’t showing up anywhere - front or back end.

Magento Community
Magento Community

abijah

Sister,

Yeah, I know it’s possible. My host is SiteGround, and I’ve never, ever had a problem with them in the 4 years I’ve been using them. I’ve had trouble with other hosts, even grid hosts, butnot with SiteGround. The export worked find, I’m not sure why the import isn’t working. I’m only importing 5 products.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ronaldr

Total Posts:  124
California

This might be slightly off topic but I’d thought I would say something anyway

We had a similar problem, the issue was importing a product file from a previous version of magento to a newer version. It would not show the products properly, we ended up reinstalling a backup of the old version, upgrading it to the current version of magento, and then exporting it.

Hope this helps

Magento Community
Magento Community

abijah

Ronald,

Thanks for trying to help out. I rarely even get responses around here. Anyway, I’m using the same version. The only version i’ve ever used 1.0.6. I didn’t upgrade, so that’s not the issue.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ronaldr

California

have you tried upgrading to the current version ? and then trying to export/import

Magento Community
Magento Community

abijah

Ok. Here is some more information on this problem I really need to get these products uploaded this weekend!

Again, I originally exported my manually built products as CVS with the magento header values in the first row, and merely populated the cvs with values using Excel. I saved the file as a CSV without saving any of the Excel ‘features’ so that they wouldn’t hurt the CSV in any way. In other words, I’ve done everything correctly. I have all of the categories, attributes, etc., already built in the shopping care. (I’ve done everything correctly, that’s why I’m not getting an “Error:” message during the import.)

I have tried importing both “dynamically” and from the local ‘Import’ directory. Neither of these has worked. The pop-up opens as though it’s going to import the products and it says:

* Starting profile execution, please wait…
* Warning: Please don’t close window during importing/exporting data

Then the page stops working/loading, and says “done” in the status bar (at the bottom of firefox). But, I don’t get any further messages from magento regarding the import. When I did the dynamic import, the files show-up in the import folder, but nothing shows up in my shopping cart on either end. This means the files is uploading, but nothing is importing.

The “Profile History” tab says that the profile has been run 3 times. (These “runs” represent the failed attempts I have made to import products.)

Run Jan 24, 2009 2:59:27 PM Admin Admin
Update Jan 24, 2009 2:59:04 PM Admin Admin
Run Jan 21, 2009 7:55:48 AM Admin Admin
Run Jan 21, 2009 7:33:36 AM Admin Admin
Update Jan 21, 2009 7:33:12 AM Admin Admin
Update Jan 21, 2009 7:31:39 AM Admin Admin

Here is the XML in the “Profile Actions XML” tab:

<action type="dataflow/convert_adapter_io" method="load">
<var name="type">file</var>
<var name="path">var/import</var>
<var name="filename"><![CDATA[magento_test_import.csv]]></var>
<var name="format"><![CDATA[csv]]></var>
</action>

<action type="dataflow/convert_parser_csv" method="parse">
<var name="delimiter"><![CDATA[,]]></var>
<var name="enclose"><![CDATA["]]></var>
<var name="fieldnames">true</var>
<var name="store"><![CDATA[0]]></var>
<var name="number_of_records">1</var>
<var name="decimal_separator"><![CDATA[.]]></var>
<var name="adapter">catalog/convert_adapter_product</var>
<var name="method">parse</var>
</action>

Please, I would really appreciate some help on this from the pros around here.

I could try to upgrade, but I don’t see how that will help, and it may cause problems because I’ve prepared everything in my CVS for 1.1.6 , and I don’t know what kind of changes have been made to the database in 1.2.0.3. An upgrade could cause more harm than good at this point.

I’m also willing to pay for support at this point. I’m not willing to pay 50.00 a month on a yearly contract though.

PS. I also tried the upload/import in IE and I got the same exact thing...nothing.

Magento Community
Magento Community

abijah

So my host (siteground) said the process might be timing out, even though it’s only 5 products I"m trying to upload. A friend at work told me to try using PHP’s “ set_time_limit ( ) “ function to change the timeout, but I don’t know where to place this for it to work.

Any thoughts???

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ronaldr

California

you would just place it in the php.ini file, anywhere is fine I believe

Magento Community
Magento Community

abijah

Thanks, I’ll try it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

abijah

I only see a PHP.INI.SAMPLE file. Is this where I should use function above?

Magento Community
Magento Community

abijah

Can I just import these files via a MySQL import like LOAD DATA INFILE ...

LOAD DATA INFILE “/home/hallclos/www/shop/var/import/magento_test_import.csv”
INTO TABLE ****TABLE*****
FIELDS TERMINATED BY ‘,’
ENCLOSED BY ‘”’
LINES TERMINATED BY ‘rn’;

Can anyone provide any help with what table I need to import to?

These are the columns in my csv:

store websites attribute_set type sku category_ids has_options manufacturer status visibility tax_class_id color weight price special_price cost name meta_title meta_description image small_image thumbnail url_key url_path custom_design options_container gift_message_available special_from_date special_to_date news_from_date news_to_date custom_design_from custom_design_to description short_description meta_keyword custom_layout_update qty min_qty use_config_min_qty is_qty_decimal backorders use_config_backorders min_sale_qty use_config_min_sale_qty max_sale_qty use_config_max_sale_qty is_in_stock low_stock_date notify_stock_qty use_config_notify_stock_qty manage_stock use_config_manage_stock waist length required_options size girls_womens_pant_short_style boys_mens_pant_style accessories_pe blazer_jackets_sweaters business_apparel food_service girls_plaids_solids knit_woven_oxford_shirts scrubs shoes

Please help. I’m literally coming down to the wire tonight.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community