Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

.htaccess question

creativelifeform

Total Posts:  77
Sydney, Australia

I’m wondering where the default location for the .htaccess file should be? I’ve done a fresh install of Magento 1.7 and have found it in /var/.htaccess

the file simply states:

Order deny,allow
Deny from all

there is no .htaccess file in my root directory. Is this abnormal? I’m not able to access any of the pages on the site.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

Total Posts:  1158

You should have a .htaccess file in the root of your Magento installation.

Magento Community
Magento Community

irvingbanks

Total Posts:  7

copy .htaccess file from your magento installation package and if you didn’t find .htaccess file then your magento installation package is incomplete.
You can use the attached .htaccess file and put it for Magento root directory. Tell me if it works smile

File Attachments
htaccesss.zip  (File Size: 3KB - Downloads: 212)

Magento Community
Magento Community

creativelifeform

Total Posts:  77
Sydney, Australia

Thanks! For some reason it wasn’t included, everything else is there though. So this goes in the root directory correct?

Okay got it, it’s working now! Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

kaybischoff

Total Posts:  3
Germany

Thanks to irvingbanks works perfect!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

Total Posts:  1158

Just a tip: if you are using FTP to transfer the files, some FTP applications by default does not show “hidden” files that start with a . (dot), and thus it may not be included when you transfer the Magento files. You should find an option to show hidden files in the application settings.

Magento Community
Magento Community

davwhatmore

Total Posts:  1

Good job,I appreciate your work because i have the same problem,but your post solve my problem.Thanks for sharing information,your information increase my knowledge.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community