Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

is there any advantages to having multiple users on magento? 

NathanMcBride

Total Posts:  6

Hi guys,

I was wondering if there were any advantages to having a user for each member of our team in the Magento admin panel.

I could see why this would be an advantage if they all have their own password however is there any other benefits?

Cheers,

Nathan McBride

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Rich Cleverley

Total Posts:  285

The main advantage is that you can have different users assigned to different roles so they only have access to the areas they need (i.e. you may not want all users to have access to customer/order data). 

Ideally Magento would also have comprehensive user action logging so you could keep track of who has done what in the admin backend

Magento Community
Magento Community

davison

Total Posts:  56

In my point of view it’s more useful for creating different users login for each member in a group in a single admin panel and it helps each member to navigate admin panel as they like still maintaining one backend.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Amasty
Mentor

Total Posts:  3988

NathanMcBride - 25 September 2012 12:39 AM

Hi guys,

I was wondering if there were any advantages to having a user for each member of our team in the Magento admin panel.

I could see why this would be an advantage if they all have their own password however is there any other benefits?

Cheers,

Nathan McBride

Hello Nathan,

It’s really very convenient to have multiple admin users managing one backend panel, but to avoid any mess you need a handy tool allowing assign permissions to users for editing products and categories, Magento store-views and websites. We offer you to take a look at this extension: http://amasty.com/magento-advanced-permissions.html.

It offers:

- Limit access by store-view and website
- Separate products management
- Separate categories management
- Duplicate roles quickly
- Automatic compatibility with other extensions

Please take a look at the screenshot below to get a proper idea of the extension’s functionality:

Image Attachments
advanced-permissions-magento.png

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community