Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Need to upgrade from 1.3.2.2 to 1.7

creativelifeform

Total Posts:  77
Sydney, Australia

Hi there, need to do this for a client.

Their site is still working online but has had some nasty stuff going on with it so they finally got the cash together to get some maintenance work done.

I want to do this all locally first so I’m wondering what the best way to do it is. I’ve successfully installed 1.7 locally to an empty database, however, when I try to install 1.7 with the client’s database, the install fails.

I’m just wondering what the best solution is. Perhaps just grab the crucial tables from the old database and import them?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Revilo

Total Posts:  68

I am in the EXACT same situation. I will be doing an offline upgrade over the next couple of weeks. From what I have read you cannot just go from 1.3.2.2 to 1.7. You need to follow the original upgrade path. IE 1.3 -> 1.4 -> 1.5 -> 1.6->1.7

Let me know how you go as I think we are in the same boat…

Cheers
Oliver

Magento Community
Magento Community

creativelifeform

Total Posts:  77
Sydney, Australia

I have just done a demo migration using Cart2Cart and it seems to have worked VERY well. I am super impressed with it. The full migration only costs around $69 so totally worth it. Check it out.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Revilo

I found this http://turnkeye.com/blog/magento-upgrade-guide/

But for $69 that seems like a bargain. Did you have any issues with the front end templates?

Magento Community
Magento Community

ellray

Total Posts:  3

OK, I’ve got a similar situation and would like some advice from the experts.

I am new to Magento (I have done a Zen Cart website from scratch), and I have a client requesting upgrade from 1.3.2.4 to the latest version (on my recommendation).  After spending hours perusing posts about the upgrade path options, it appears to be down to the choice between incremental upgrading (via 1.6 and with themes and extensions discarded) and a fresh installation and dbase migration via cart2cart.

So, some questions:

These caveats on Cart2Cart’s webpage (for Magento-Magento migration) seem like they could matter (especially the last one):
- Customers’ credit card information is not migrated. Though, the information about customers’ billing, shipping addresses will be successfully migrated.
- When the migration process is completed all registered customers will have to use password recovery form on the target shopping cart to use their profiles, due to the fact that various shopping carts use different password encryption algorithm.
- The migration result may be unpredictable in case the attribute set ‘default’ was modified.

Would doing the upgrade path avoid these issues in the upgraded database?

This is my plan for incremental upgrade.  Please comment or advise, including my time estimates):

-----
1) Investigate current installation (1 hr)

2) Upgrade
2a) Create copy of current installation (2 hr)
- verify that webserver meets minimum Magento requirements
- back up current dbase and website
- copy website to subdirectory on webserver (not “live")
- create copy of live dbase
- tweak config files for subdirectory installation
- configure for upgrade:
- disable theme
- disable extensions

2b) Upgrade to v 1.6 (2 hr)
- perform upgrade
- verify & test data

2c) Upgrade to v1.7 (2 hr)
- perform upgrade
- verify & test data

3) Configure new site (4 hr)
- theme installation & customization
- extension installation
- custom pages (quotes, etc)

4) Go live when satisfied with new installation (1 hr)
- back-up and re-copy live dbase and replace copy on new Magento installation
- move live website aside
- move new installation to live directory (or link)
- enter interim orders into database manually
-----

Thanks for any feedback!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Revilo

So far I\’m not having much luck.

My offline site has yet to work correctly.

Cart2Cart stated they only do migrations and lot upgrades. I got a quote from another group at US$750.

I think i may have to look at going to create another dev environment on the server as i am running into odd little php issues. I don\\\’t want to spend my time trying to get the offline one just working....

Magento Community
Magento Community

ellray

Total Posts:  3

Revilo - 02 October 2012 09:10 PM

So far I\’m not having much luck.

My offline site has yet to work correctly.

Cart2Cart stated they only do migrations and lot upgrades. I got a quote from another group at US$750.

I think i may have to look at going to create another dev environment on the server as i am running into odd little php issues. I don\\\’t want to spend my time trying to get the offline one just working....

With Cart2Cart, you would just have them migrate your database and then use the updated database with a fresh install of the latest Magento (which you’d obviously have to customize and extend to your or your customer’s liking).  Good luck!

Magento Community
Magento Community

kalenjordan

Total Posts:  218
Pasadena, CA

Revilo - 02 October 2012 09:10 PM

Hey @Revilo, you may want to give mageupdate.com a spin to setup the staging environment and test out upgrading to different versions.  I don’t have all the versions loaded up yet, but I can add versions pretty easily.  It’s not possible yet to run multiple upgrades on one site (1.3 => 1.4, then 1.4 => 1.5), but I’m planning to build that out soon.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community