Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Can’t find/display Category/Products list

jwaudio1

Total Posts:  5

I’m pretty new to Magento so I’m sorry if this has been asked before or is something simple.

I’m really struggling to find a way to display products from a category on my Sales Page.

I’ve inserted the Widget: {{widget type="catalog/category_widget_link" template="catalog/category/widget/link/link_block.phtml" id_path="category/2"}} but nothing shows up on the page: www.magento.jwaudio.co.uk/sales

Anyone have any ideas? I’m pretty stumped

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

wizardOI

Total Posts:  1

Newb alert....

Im having the same issue, I have no categories listed on my home page and the prodcuts tab at the top of the page just goes to the home page. I cant figure out what I need to do to get my products to show up.

I installed Magento Classic Theme Free (10 colors included) on the community version 1.7.0.2 and followed all the directions but I do not have the product categories listed on the left side as pictured on the download and when I click the products tab at the top its linked to the home page “index” how do I fix this?

Prior to installed the theme pack I wasnt even able to get a products tab on my page but now I dont know how to link it to my products.

You can see what I currently have at www.oklahomapatriotsupply.com

Please help

Magento Community
Magento Community

jwaudio1

I’m using the same template.

There must be a reason as to why the categories don’t show.

I can get the products to display by setting them as new, then they display in the new products widget but no show in the category widget.

It’s a shame because magento seem to be a really great bit of software, but if I can’t get it to display products easily then it seems a bit pointless!

Magento Community
Magento Community

jwaudio1

I think I may have found the solution.

All categories must be under the ‘Default Category’. This seems to be the root category that isn’t directly visible but everything that’s in it is.

To check this go to Cataloge > Manage Categories. Then drag everything under the Default Category and it should show up on the side nav.

To show the ‘products’ page you need to point a link to http://www.your-url.com/sales.html?___store=default

To do this I’d first disable the ‘Products’ button from the template. Got to:

/public_html/magento/app/design/frontend/default/f002/template/page/html and edit topmenu.phtml. You need to remove the line:

<li><a href="<?php echo $this->getUrl() ?>"><?php echo $this->__('Products'?></a></li>

Next go to the Static Block called ‘Menu’ that you created when you installed the template and add the line:

<li><a href="http://www.your-url.com/sales.html?___store=default"><span>Sales</span></a></li>

Obviously you need to change ‘your-url’ to your own url. You can call it what you like, just change

<span>Sales</span>

Hope that helps

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community