Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

no categories on home page on fresh install? 

kyleeasterly

Total Posts:  1

Hi everyone!

Magento (0.7.15480) definitely looks cool so far, but I can’t get any of my categories to show up in the store. I deleted the one category that came with the fresh install, and created a new root category that is active, then added about 5 other categories, making sure that they are active also. I set the root category in the catalog page of configuration to my new root category, and have one product in one of the categories.

UPDATE:
Here’s the old problem:

The main page just shows the blurb I typed using the CMS, and the out-of-the-box graphics on the right column. No categories or products appear like they do on the demo site (http://demo.magentocommerce.com/ - at the top, within the blue area)
Am I missing some setting that I have to modify to get these things to appear?
Also, the product I entered shows up in the sitemap, but not the categories.

New info:
The links actually are at t he top, but there is no text, I can mouseover them and they are there, but following the link causes an internal server error (error 500) - I’m running this on Dreamhost, with no special configurations made or anything.

Thanks!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Daniel.A.

Total Posts:  8

I’ve the same problem. I’ve a Root Catalog category and Product child category. When I clicked the invisble link I get the following message:

NoticeUndefined variablecondition in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Catalog/Model/Entity/Category/Collection.php on line 61
[0] in Mage_Catalog_Model_Entity_Category_Collection
->addIdFilter(NULLin /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Catalog/Block/Navigation.php on line 79
[1] in Mage_Catalog_Block_Navigation
->getCurrentChildCategories() in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/magento/app/design/frontend/default/default/template/catalog/navigation/left.phtml on line 28
[2] in 
include("/Applications/MAMP/htdocs/magento/app/design/frontend/default/default/template/catalog/navigation/le"in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Template.php on line 122
[3] in Mage_Core_Block_Template
->fetchView("frontend/default/default/template/catalog/navigation/left.phtml"in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Template.php on line 153
[4] in Mage_Core_Block_Template
->renderView() in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Template.php on line 198
[5] in Mage_Core_Block_Template
->toHtml() in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Text/List.php on line 36
[6] in Mage_Core_Block_Text_List
->toHtml() in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Abstract.php on line 426
[7] in Mage_Core_Block_Abstract
->_getChildHtml("left"1in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Abstract.php on line 404
[8] in Mage_Core_Block_Abstract
->getChildHtml("left"in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/magento/app/design/frontend/default/default/template/page/3columns.phtml on line 44
[9] in 
include("/Applications/MAMP/htdocs/magento/app/design/frontend/default/default/template/page/3columns.phtml"in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Template.php on line 122
[10] in Mage_Core_Block_Template
->fetchView("frontend/default/default/template/page/3columns.phtml"in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Template.php on line 153
[11] in Mage_Core_Block_Template
->renderView() in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Template.php on line 198
[12] in Mage_Core_Block_Template
->toHtml() in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Layout.php on line 417
[13] in Mage_Core_Model_Layout
->getOutput() in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Action.php on line 313
[14] in Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Action
->renderLayout() in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Catalog/controllers/CategoryController.php on line 65
[15] in Mage_Catalog_CategoryController
->viewAction() in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Action.php on line 336
[16] in Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Action
->dispatch("view"in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Router/Standard.php on line 150
[17] in Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Router_Standard
->match(Mage_Core_Controller_Request_Httpin /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Front.php on line 147
[18] in Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Front
->dispatch() in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/magento/app/Mage.php on line 379
[19] in Mage
::run("base"in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/magento/index.php on line 29

What’s happening? Is this a bug?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Daniel.A.

Total Posts:  8

Well, I’ve been looking at the magento/app/code/core/Mage/Catalog/Model/Entity/Category/Collection.php file and after some modifications I think I solved the problem. I’ve edited the function addFilter to look like this, and now it seems to work, but unfortunately the top bar categories menu still doesn’t appear.

public function addIdFilter($categoryIds)

{

if (is_array($categoryIds)) {
            $condition 
= array('in' => $categoryIds);

$this->addFieldToFilter('entity_id', array('in'=>$condition));

}

elseif (is_numeric($categoryIds)) {
            $condition 
$categoryIds;

$this->addFieldToFilter('entity_id'$condition);

}

elseif (is_string($categoryIds)) {