Magento Forum

Can import profile only change prices or does it overwrite everything? 

redvinny

Total Posts:  48

Hi - sorry if this is an obvious question.  I was wondering how people manage to make multiple changes to prices on their products.

for example:

1. at the beginning of your store creation you upload via CSV (excellent worked fine)
2. client makes changes to products via admin panel, changing descriptions and various things at a product level.
3. client comes back and says I need to changes prices for about 150 products.

In this scenario can you use the import function to change the price only as from my experience it completely changes your existing product details when you use the import profile option.

would you need to export all products (or filtered set of products) every time you wanted to make a large change so that you are not overwriting descriptions and other fields with stuff the customer has changed on the site?

Thanks in advance
Vinny

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Kacie

Total Posts:  20

yes i think you need to export all products change only the prices and then import. others remains same as it is not changed only prices will be changed.  The products will overwrit only the fields which has been modified.

Magento Community
Magento Community

redvinny

Hi Kacie

thanks for your reply, seems a bit of shame as it would have been good to resubmit a thinned down csv file with just the SKU and new price column and then overwrite the price.

Vinny

Magento Community
Magento Community

redvinny

SisterTwisted, thanks for reply. 

I’m slightly confused now.  Are you saying that If I reduce the fields in my update csv file to include only things like ‘price’ or anything else I want to change - it will only update the product?

I have recently uploaded a csv file (same as what used to populate original products) again with different meta info and they seem to have updated.

sorry but could you clarify for me.

Thanks
Vinny

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community