Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Images appear to upload but don’t show in backend or show red “x” or front end shows default image

gcmills

Total Posts:  3

I have not done any upgrades recently or made any changes to anything.  One minute pictures upload fine in the back end and the next (literally) they don’t.  In fact, the first time it happened I was uploading the exact same image that I just sucessfully uploaded on a different product (different size but uses same image) only minutes before.  Just like that it was broken.  Nothing has uploaded since.

Initially it goes through the upload process as if everything is fine, but when you mouse over the image it supposedly uploaded, it shows that nothing uploaded.  If I save the product and look on the site, then I see the default image.  Prior to this, the backend had begun not showing the image at first, but if I saved it, it would show properly on the site and would then show up in the back end. Prior to that I could always see the image right away if I moused over it in the backend.

I tried everything I could find on the internet including installing a different image uploader (DULL UPLOADER) and deleting and renaming htaccess files.  Nothing made any difference.  Today, again, having not changed anything, I am getting a red “x” in the top left corner of where the image should display in the back end.  I still get the default image on the site.

If you know how to help with this, please keep in mind that I am the store owner, not a developer.  I am great at following directions, but I need step by step.  I can make code changes, but I need to know exactly how it looks before and exactly how it should look after and the exact path to find the file to edit:-)

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Store_Manager
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  867

Hi there,

To get the better understanding of the issue, please, provide the example of products images of which are not displaying at your web-site.

Also please, go to your FTP and check if your products image is placed in the correct directory as Magento requires.

As an alternative solution I can offer you run re-import via desktop application - Store Manager for Magento.
Using it the images should be correctly uploaded and reflected at your web-site.

Here is 14-days free trial available for download -
http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/store-manager-for-magento.html
If you need step-by-step instructions on how to perform import via this app you can contact us directly.

Magento Community
Magento Community

gcmills

Total Posts:  3

Thank you for responding but I don’t think we are on the same page.  I’m not trying to import images.  I’m just adding images through the backend to an existing product.  Magento decides where to store the images when I upload this way.  I just did a test by adding both a jpg and a png and the jpg uploaded and displayed fine on the site.  The png shows the default image on the site and shows a box with a red “x” in the backend. However, I almost never use jpg images.  Almost everything on the current site is a png with a transparent background so the CSS style is identical behind every image, so this doesn’t really help me.

So I deleted both images since they were not for that product and uploaded them again to the same product just for kicks.  This time, both show the default image on the site and both have the box with the red “x” in the backend.  There doesn’t seem to be any pattern to the problem other than being unable to swap out images as I please.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Store_Manager
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  867

Hi again.

Thank you for clarification and detailed explanation of the issue.

What I can offer you in this situation is to make sure that this issue is related to Magento backend. You can use trial version of Store Manager I offered you above. From there you can also add image to one product and check if it will be reflected in admin and front-end.

In this way you will be able to check if this issue is related to image creation and upload via admin or it is some deeper issue.

In case, the issue remains and images still will not be reflected in backend, it most likely will mean that it is some deeper issue then just admin problem and is related to server settings.

P.S. It will be just the way to check if the issue more serious and helps to find out if it requires further digging.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community