I just recently had the same issue with Wamp on windows 7 64bit. After literally days of messing with different wamp settings, changing to xampp (worked, but couldn’t get vhosts to work right) and then back to wamp I decided to install wamp for 32bit since I have this environment working on a different laptop.
This finally worked! I have my project setup in wamp with vhost set to project.localhost.com.
1) Go to http://www.wampserver.com/ and download “Wampserver (32 bits & PHP 5.3) 2.2E” (I needed 5.3 for php which is why I went with this one)
2) Install wamp tp c:/wamp
3) Turn on Curl (php Extension) and rewrite_module (apache module), then restart wamp
From here I configured my vhost set up. Imported the large database via the command line and restart wamp one more time (I configured some host configurations for my vhost set up so I needed to restart).
After that, I tested the project and it worked. If you need more details about turning curl or rewrite_module on or how to configure the vhost, just let me know.
Quick side note:
I like XAMPP, but two things made me switch from XAMPP to WAMP. 1) I couldn’t get the vhost settings right so my project urls were like “project.localhost.com”. 2) WAMP supports multiple versions of php, which is great when you work on several projects at a time and some require newer or older versions of php. This feature alone is awesome. Try going back to an older version of PHP in XAMPP