Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Trying to install Magento 1.7 onto Windows 7 64 bit with WAMP

atomgen

Total Posts:  3

Hi there,

I have been trying for days to install Magento onto localhost.
I have tried a few different versions of WAMP with PHP to see if that will let me install Magento.
I am stuck on the configuration page. I fill in all the info and error says cannot connect to database.

Currently trying to install Magento 1.7 with WAMP 2.1 Apache 2.2.17 and PHP 5.3.4

I would like advice on which version of each these softwares to use for best compatibility:
- Magento
- WAMP
- Apache
- PHP

I am running windows 7 64bit. Please note whether I should use 32 or 64bit softwares.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

atomgen

Or, would I be by-passing all these problems by installing straight onto a web host and working off the live host?

Magento Community
Magento Community

atomgen

Yes, still having the problems. are you using Magento 1.7 or older?
Any advice on how you went about installing / any problems you ran into? Did you use WAMP?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Thiago73

I can recommend you to try XAMPP instead of WAMP. I installed several versions of Magento on local machines running a XAMPP server and there was no additional configuration necessary, it all ran out of the box.

Edit: If it says “cannot connect to database”: Are you sure you entered the correct username and password? You can change the Magento DB login in your app/etc/loca.xml

Magento Community
Magento Community

Lyonscg

Total Posts:  173
Chicago IL

I just recently had the same issue with Wamp on windows 7 64bit. After literally days of messing with different wamp settings, changing to xampp (worked, but couldn’t get vhosts to work right) and then back to wamp I decided to install wamp for 32bit since I have this environment working on a different laptop.

This finally worked! I have my project setup in wamp with vhost set to project.localhost.com.

Steps

1) Go to http://www.wampserver.com/ and download “Wampserver (32 bits & PHP 5.3) 2.2E” (I needed 5.3 for php which is why I went with this one)
2) Install wamp tp c:/wamp
3) Turn on Curl (php Extension) and rewrite_module (apache module), then restart wamp

From here I configured my vhost set up. Imported the large database via the command line and restart wamp one more time (I configured some host configurations for my vhost set up so I needed to restart).

After that, I tested the project and it worked. If you need more details about turning curl or rewrite_module on or how to configure the vhost, just let me know.

Good luck!

Quick side note:
I like XAMPP, but two things made me switch from XAMPP to WAMP. 1) I couldn’t get the vhost settings right so my project urls were like “project.localhost.com”. 2) WAMP supports multiple versions of php, which is great when you work on several projects at a time and some require newer or older versions of php. This feature alone is awesome. Try going back to an older version of PHP in XAMPP wink

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community