Magento Forum

Can I Supply A Downloadable Manual With a Physical Product? 

thewebworkshop

Total Posts:  67

Hi everyone,

I have a client who is looking to sell physical products that require a user-manual. He wants to be able to supply the manual as a password-protected PDF that can be downloaded as soon as the purchase of the physical product is made.

One way to do this would seem to be to link the manual to the product as a ‘free gift’, i.e. buy the product and you get the download free. I was just wondering if a download can be directly linked to a product, but not made available until the purchase has been completed.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

iiNTENSE
Guru

Total Posts:  432
Lansing, MI

Andrew,
An easy way to do it would be to create it as a downloadable product and not make it available within search or in a category.  Then create a ‘shopping cart rule” so that when they purchase a certain product, that downloadable product would be automatically included.

You could also:

Include it in the checkout e-mail or place it in the checkout redirection page.

Magento Community
Magento Community

thewebworkshop

Total Posts:  67

Thanks very much for the suggestions - food for thought.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tobiasmay

Total Posts:  5

Would it be possible to generate a user account, so that the customer who once bought the physical product is able to download the service manual at any time?

Magento Community
Magento Community

iiNTENSE
Guru

Total Posts:  432
Lansing, MI

This is not a function currently available within Magento, but you are able to code it in.  Otherwise, you could manually embed it in the users account.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tangkoko

Total Posts:  75
France

The extension “Secured Pdf” provides automatic password protection for your pdf files. It can also add customized watermark to your pdf.
For more details, see : http://store.tangkoko.com/en/secured-pdf-downloadable-products-for-magento.html/

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community