Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Database import/export and keeping everything in sync

mathison

Total Posts:  9

This is my first post. We are about to embark on a Magento store for a front end. we already have backends and everything else.
It seems that when magento import doesn’t support the group/simple product relationship (it might but I can’t find any documentation) and I need to write my own. No a big deal except that Magento seems to assign entity_id’s to every product when added and also (and this is the part that really makes no sense to me) maintains the ids once an order is placed. THis means of course that if at anytime during the history of the store for some reason an entity_id on a product gets changed the order that the person thinks they ordered will also change. Is this true?? I’ve only just started looking at the order part of the DB.

Anyway we will be regularly uploading into the DB from our master backend DB and also downloading orders as they come in for fullfillment.
I can do this two ways: 1 use the SKU field to tie everything together. This will work but the SKU field isn’t set as unique. (I can either change the index or just not worry about it as my master DB has it unique already. of course this means tying everything to the SKU and doing a million queries every time I upload or download - but it will work. What I Don’t know is if the customer orders will continue to be accurate because even if I can sync up my products to a new SKU I’m not sure if the customer order history will reflect the original entity_id - which might change to a new product.
Another way of doing this is simply removing the auto_increment from the product_entity table entity_id and setting to my master id on my backend. I can easily enforce it’s uniqueness and suddenly the front end and back end talk the same language. THis of course means that all products must be added via the back end, which should be ok but I am wondering if there are products that MAgento adds to the product entity table automatically in the background?  As I am typing this this latter solution seems far far better but I am curious about how order history is handled, automatic adding of products, and if I am missing something or if there is a better approach.

thanks,
joel

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Vicky

Total Posts:  50

Do you still need help?
http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/how_to_add_products_using_the_import/export_tool

Magento Community
Magento Community

mathison

Thanks for the reply. However since I wrote that I have written a series of SQL scripts and a program that do the import directly to the DB. I will take a look at the import export tools again but I thought them to limiting. For example I could not find a way to import and link grouped products together. Also (and I may be wrong at this) in order to keep my backend and frontend in sync my master DB but have final arbitration on productids - and not let Magneto randomly assign them. As I said I could be wrong about the utilities and the software is changing all the time.

joel

Magento Community
Magento Community

mathison

Vicky,
I read you wiki - as far as I know there is no definition or documentation on the fields that are required for import and their possible values. IF there is such a document I would appreciate a link.

thanks,
joel

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community