Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Live theme development. 

danielalopez

Total Posts:  2

I’m creating a theme, but i want to be able to test it on the live site without showing users. For example, in the url maybe i would have:

http://store.example.com/?viewtheme=development
http://store.example.com/?testtheme=true
or maybe even on the condition of IP address..
etc…

or is there already a unpublished version preview? or development feature that i am missing, otherwise i will have to do it my self via hardcoding etc… which is not fine as its just development.... any ideas guys?

if i where to do it progmatically where would i start, where is the setter for the theme? I’m a programmer just not familiar with the layout of the system.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

minboost

Total Posts:  12
global

Does your site use multiple store views?

If not, you can just create a second store view and have that use the development theme.

To prevent users from seeing it, just remove the store selector drop down (it’s in layout/page.xml).

You’ll might need to set your site to use store codes in the URLs, which could effect your current URLs if you are doing advertising or SEO. It’s in the admin -> system -> configuration -> web -> url options -> Add Store Code to Urls = yes

Hope that helps.

Magento Community
Magento Community

danielalopez

Total Posts:  2

yea i’ll probably go with the second store view and have that use the development theme… not sure do that either. but i’ll figure it out (totally new to magento as of 4 hours ago) Thanks very much for your help!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Damian Culotta
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  878
Argentina

@danielalopez

Did you try the exceptions on System -> Configuration -> Design?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community