Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Hey guys, got a quick question regarding web PEAR installer and mod_php

SimpleHelixcom
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  906
Huntsville, AL

I was wondering just how much of a compatibility you guys have tested for Magento’s PEAR installer to be run under mod_php

It seems with the new pear installer, it will create some files under ownership of apache in which case, a user would not be able to edit the files unless I give them “user” permission on those files.

This is a tricky situation because I really do not wish to go to fastcgi/suPHP where apache process is run by user, for performance reasons.

And I also do not wish to use console pear installer(because it requires root) either nor SVN(unable to update via Magento Admin).

So I just want customer to install this themselves with PEAR.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

PEAR support is still very experimental, and is not required during install or upgrade.

And I also do not wish to use console pear installer(because it requires root)

We have embedded PEAR client into Magento and it does not require root permissions nor pre-installed PEAR on the host.

For people that PEAR install/upgrades don’t work for any reason, there’s always an option to overwrite the files with unpacked complete package.

Due to the nature of Magento’s upgreadability and customization concept, this method should not overwrite correctly written custom themes and modules.

For automated script to update multiple installations this method could also be more convenient than PEAR

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community