Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Revert a package to an earlier version

innerwolf

Total Posts:  70
Leicester UK

Hi

We’ve had a website built on 1.4.1.1 which has ben running for a year and a half. Obviously wnating the latest thing Istarted to try an update it via the download manager. Some packages would and some wouldn’t update. I’ve since found out that this is not the way to do it.

In doing what i’ve done I’ve updated lib_mage and lib_js_prototype. I think this might have caused a problem with me indexing our categories, or at least that is the only thing that I can see changed around the time the category stopped indexing.

Is there any way I can revert these to the earlier version? I have the 1.4.1.1 file package so I could upload the appropriate files if it is as straight forward as that. Hopefully it is.

Any advice or tips would be very helpful, other than don’t fiddle with thnigs if you are not sure, I’ve learnt that one already wink

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Rich Cleverley

Total Posts:  285

So when you tried the upgrade did it upgrade any of the packages or have you only updated the two you mentioned?  If so I would imagine just replacing them with the earlier versions should do it.  Of course I would suggest you try this on a dev server first to make sure it all works correctly.  Do not under any circumstance try it on live until you are completely happy.

Magento Community
Magento Community

innerwolf

Leicester UK

These are the only two that I managed to update. All other I tried showed an error message.

I suppose my other question was which files in this package do the updates relate to, where do I find them?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Rich Cleverley

I’d try to download them manually.  YOu should be able to do a ./pear download package name and extract them from there.

If you get stuck give a shout with more details and I’ll see what I can do for you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Rich Cleverley

By the way, I personally would never attempt a Magento upgrade through the updater.  Either use vendor branches with SVN or on a dev server upgrade your current set up manually (you should be ok to just throw a new version over your current code base and let it do the db upgrades for you then when you are happy upload the changed files - rsync if possible to upgrade your live server).  Of course that all depends on whether you have any core modifications or not (which you really really don’t want if you can possibly help it!).

Magento Community
Magento Community

innerwolf

Leicester UK

Hi

What files would need to be replaced to revert lib_mage and lib_js_prototype to their earlier form? I can’t find files or a directory that appears to relate directly to them.

Adrian

Magento Community
Magento Community

Rich Cleverley

On a dev server that has a backup of your current setup working (DB included) try extracting the latest version of Magento over the top of what you currently have to see if this fixes it.  It sounds like the partial upgrade may have killed your currents set up.  Of course this is based on you not having made any core modifications.  IF you have made modifications to core files it’s going to be a fair bit harder to sort out and certainly not easy to do in the forums as we won’t know what has and hasn’t been modified.

If you want to go back to 1.4 (presuming the DB hasn’t partly upgraded) you could always do a clean install on 1.4.1.1 and diff that against your current setup (use either cli diff or something like Meld).  At least then you’ll be able to see what is different and replace them.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community