We’ve had a website built on 220.127.116.11 which has ben running for a year and a half. Obviously wnating the latest thing Istarted to try an update it via the download manager. Some packages would and some wouldn’t update. I’ve since found out that this is not the way to do it.
In doing what i’ve done I’ve updated lib_mage and lib_js_prototype. I think this might have caused a problem with me indexing our categories, or at least that is the only thing that I can see changed around the time the category stopped indexing.
Is there any way I can revert these to the earlier version? I have the 18.104.22.168 file package so I could upload the appropriate files if it is as straight forward as that. Hopefully it is.
Any advice or tips would be very helpful, other than don’t fiddle with thnigs if you are not sure, I’ve learnt that one already
So when you tried the upgrade did it upgrade any of the packages or have you only updated the two you mentioned? If so I would imagine just replacing them with the earlier versions should do it. Of course I would suggest you try this on a dev server first to make sure it all works correctly. Do not under any circumstance try it on live until you are completely happy.
By the way, I personally would never attempt a Magento upgrade through the updater. Either use vendor branches with SVN or on a dev server upgrade your current set up manually (you should be ok to just throw a new version over your current code base and let it do the db upgrades for you then when you are happy upload the changed files - rsync if possible to upgrade your live server). Of course that all depends on whether you have any core modifications or not (which you really really don’t want if you can possibly help it!).
On a dev server that has a backup of your current setup working (DB included) try extracting the latest version of Magento over the top of what you currently have to see if this fixes it. It sounds like the partial upgrade may have killed your currents set up. Of course this is based on you not having made any core modifications. IF you have made modifications to core files it’s going to be a fair bit harder to sort out and certainly not easy to do in the forums as we won’t know what has and hasn’t been modified.
If you want to go back to 1.4 (presuming the DB hasn’t partly upgraded) you could always do a clean install on 22.214.171.124 and diff that against your current setup (use either cli diff or something like Meld). At least then you’ll be able to see what is different and replace them.