Magento Forum

What do you do when your reindexing gets stuck at “Processing?”

LondonMitch

Total Posts:  4

Every once in a while when I try to do a reindex through Magento Admin, the status stays at “processing” and never seems to finish.

1) Is there anything I can check to see if the reindexing is still going on, or if it’s been aborted?
2) What’s the best way to get the reindexing to succeed?  Usually if I run the reindexing from the command line it seems to work better, but is there a better way?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

SiteSmart

Total Posts:  52
Orlando, FL

2) Try bouncing your server then re-index.

Magento Community
Magento Community

LondonMitch

Yes, that’s a way to fix it.  What I really want to know is how to tell whether the indexing is still going on or not.  Sometimes it takes 30+ minutes, sometimes it takes 5 seconds.  Sometimes it never ends at all, ever.  There must be somewhere that I can look to definitively know whether or not the index is still running or now.

Magento Community
Magento Community

WiseDucks

Total Posts:  25

If your re index process is stuck in processing, delete your var/locks folder and that should allow you to re index it again.

Magento Community
Magento Community

LondonMitch

Thanks.  That’s another good solution for re-starting a dead re-indexing, but still not what I was looking for.  I want to know how I can find out if the re-indexing really is dead or not… to see if the process is still running or if it died.

For example:
1) At 10:00 I start a re-index.  20 minutes later, the page says that it’s still waiting to complete.  10 minutes later, it completes successfully.
2) At 11:00 I start a re-index.  20 minutes later, the page says that it’s still waiting to complete.  10 minutes later, the page is still waiting. 10 minutes later, it completes successfully.
3) At 12:00 I start a re-index.  20 minutes later, the page says that it’s still waiting to complete.  I wait 10 more minutes, still waiting. 10 minutes more, still waiting.  I keep waiting, and it never completes—this one is dead.  I don’t know when it died, but it never finishes.

See the problem?  Instead of waiting and waiting, is there a stat that I can look at to tell me whether the process is still running or if it died?  If it died, then I could use the solutions that you’ve kindly mentioned.  But if it’s not dead, I don’t want to terminate the process in the middle because that could cause its own problems.

Thanks again,
Mitch

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mirasvit
Guru

Total Posts:  638

You can increase backend performance using asynchronous reindex extension.. Check this one Fast Asynchronous Re-indexing http://mirasvit.com/magento-extensions/magento-asynchronous-reindex.html

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community