Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Googlebot trying to access invalid URLs due to the addition of a trailing slash

gpcola

Total Posts:  97

For some reason when googlebot spiders my site it regularly generates debug reports from my server due to it mistakenly adding a trailing slash to URLs containing arguments, such as http://www.sinfulthrills.co.uk/lingerie-clothing-1/sexy-lingerie?filter_brand=14054&filter;_size=13258/.

Here’s the first few lines of the latest store debug report:

URLhttp://www.sinfulthrills.co.uk/lingerie-clothing-1/sexy-lingerie?filter_brand=14054&filter;_size=13258/
IP Address66.249.72.177
Time
2012-08-22 12:39:58 GMT
Error
:
SQLSTATE[42000]Syntax error or access violation1064 You have an error in your SQL syntaxcheck the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ')  INNER JOIN `catalog_product_index_eav` AS `filter_brand_idx` ON filter_brand_' at line 4

Now I’m pretty sure that there is not a single link on my site that contains the trailing slash so how could it be possible that Google is mistakenly adding this trailing slash?  I’m worried that these invalid URLs will be affecting my page rank and indexing position :(

I should add that it’s not always the same filtering arguments or argument values that are being used when this happens, nor is it the same product category. There is no pattern that I’ve been able to spot.

Please note that the URLs above should not have a ; (semi-colon) within the filter_size argument.  For some reason that keeps getting added whenever I save my post!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community