Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

exception ‘Mage_Core_Exception’ with message ‘Invalid block type: ‘

johnny_n

Total Posts:  13

I’ve been seeing this error since enabling logging—I’ve done a fair amount of research, including this one—http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/v/viewthread/281275/ --but this one isn’t as clear—the block is empty and I can’t work out which file the error is in.  I’ve been through all the .xml files of extensions we’ve added and they all seem to be ok.

What could be causing this?  Using Magento 1.7.0.2.

2012-08-22T07:25:55+00:00 ERR (3): 
exception 'Mage_Core_Exception' with message 'Invalid block type: ' in /home/XXXXXXXXXXXX/domains/XXXXXXXXXXXX/private_html/app/Mage.php:594
Stack trace
:
#0 /home/XXXXXXXXXXXX/domains/XXXXXXXXXXXX/private_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Layout.php(495): Mage::throwException('Invalid block t...')
#1 /home/XXXXXXXXXXXX/domains/XXXXXXXXXXXX/private_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Layout.php(437): Mage_Core_Model_Layout->_getBlockInstance('', Array)
#2 /home/XXXXXXXXXXXX/domains/XXXXXXXXXXXX/private_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Layout.php(472): Mage_Core_Model_Layout->createBlock('', 'checkout.cart')
#3 /home/XXXXXXXXXXXX/domains/XXXXXXXXXXXX/private_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Layout.php(239): Mage_Core_Model_Layout->addBlock('', 'checkout.cart')
#4 /home/XXXXXXXXXXXX/domains/XXXXXXXXXXXX/private_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Layout.php(205): Mage_Core_Model_Layout->_generateBlock(Object(Mage_Core_Model_Layout_Element), Object(Mage_Core_Model_Layout_Element))
#5 /home/XXXXXXXXXXXX/domains/XXXXXXXXXXXX/private_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Layout.php(210): Mage_Core_Model_Layout->generateBlocks(Object(Mage_Core_Model_Layout_Element))
#6 /home/XXXXXXXXXXXX/domains/XXXXXXXXXXXX/private_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Action.php(344): Mage_Core_Model_Layout->generateBlocks()
#7 /home/XXXXXXXXXXXX/domains/XXXXXXXXXXXX/private_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Action.php(269): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Action->generateLayoutBlocks()
#8 /home/XXXXXXXXXXXX/domains/XXXXXXXXXXXX/private_html/app/code/core/Mage/Checkout/controllers/CartController.php(159): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Action->loadLayout()
#9 /home/XXXXXXXXXXXX/domains/XXXXXXXXXXXX/private_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Action.php(419): Mage_Checkout_CartController->indexAction()
#10 /home/XXXXXXXXXXXX/domains/XXXXXXXXXXXX/private_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Router/Standard.php(250): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Action->dispatch('index')
#11 /home/XXXXXXXXXXXX/domains/XXXXXXXXXXXX/private_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Front.php(176): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Router_Standard->match(Object(Mage_Core_Controller_Request_Http))
#12 /home/XXXXXXXXXXXX/domains/XXXXXXXXXXXX/private_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/App.php(354): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Front->dispatch()
#13 /home/XXXXXXXXXXXX/domains/XXXXXXXXXXXX/private_html/app/Mage.php(683): Mage_Core_Model_App->run(Array)
#14 /home/XXXXXXXXXXXX/domains/XXXXXXXXXXXX/private_html/index.php(87): Mage::run('', 'store')
#15 {main}
this postthis post

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

tzyganu
Mentor

Total Posts:  2205
Bucharest, Romania

I see this text in the error ‘checkout.cart’
1. Try searching your layout files for this text and see what comes up.
2. Maybe you have some extension installed that should override the some checkout block and it fails. Try disabling extension one by one.
3. If none of the above work you can try to add in Mage_Core_Model_Layout this line:

Mage::log($_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']);
before any occurence of thes lines:
Mage::throwException(Mage::helper('core')->__('Invalid block type: %s'$block)); // you should find 2 occurences
//and
Mage::throwException(Mage::helper('core')->__('Invalid block type: %s'$type)); // - one occurence
Then check your logs again.
You should get an idea of what page does this so you can narrow your search area.
Good luck.
Marius.

Magento Community
Magento Community

johnny_n

Thanks for the debug tip—it’s not really telling my anything new however:  /checkout/cart/

Since it’s not affecting the performance, I’m going to let it go.  Most likely it’s an extension I’ve added…

Thank you - great tip!  And nice blog by the way, I like your tips… wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

tzyganu
Mentor

Bucharest, Romania

Here is a strange/ funny story.
Yesterday afternoon I was looking through the code of a Magento Website trying to make a plan for an upgrade.
Among others I took a look in the exception.log file and I found this error:

exception 'Mage_Core_Exception' with message 'Invalid block type: ' in .....
#2 xxxxx/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Layout.php(472): Mage_Core_Model_Layout->createBlock('', 'checkout.cart')
Looks familiar? smile
After investigating the layout files I found this in app/design/frontend/{interface}/{theme}/layout/local.xml
<block name="checkout.cart">
        <
remove name="checkout.cart.shipping"/>
</
block>
I’ve changed the section above to
<reference name="checkout.cart">
        <
remove name="checkout.cart.shipping"/>
</
reference>
and everything is OK now.
Unfortunately I don’t think this is an extension, maybe the guy that did the theme added this.
You can try searching in the layout files for something like this: ‘<block name="checkout.cart">’ maybe you find your problem.

Cheers,
Marius.

Magento Community
Magento Community

johnny_n

Amazing… What are the odds of that!  wink

Thanks, Marius—that is a good suggestion.  I’ll look into it…

be well,
john.

Magento Community
Magento Community

dvincent

Total Posts:  4

johnny_n,

I am having the exact same execption.log error message as you are--even down to the same exact php line numbers.

Were you ever able to resolve this issue?  My site appears to be working just fine, but I am anal and would really like to get rid of this error message!

I am also running on Magento CE 1.7.0.2

Thanks for any help!

Sincerely,
Don V.

Magento Community
Magento Community

johnny_n

Hi dvincent, no, I didn’t to be honest.  Like you, my site seems to work just fine, and in the end I decided not to worry about it… I had a hunch it was going to take a bit to track down and figured I could better spend my time elsewhere.

If I do I will certainly post back…

Magento Community
Magento Community

tzyganu
Mentor

Bucharest, Romania

You can try searching in the layout files of your theme for the text I suggested in the previous post.

<block name="checkout.cart">
and replace with
<reference name="checkout.cart">
That did the trick for me.

Marius.

Magento Community
Magento Community

GregC

Total Posts:  76
A^2, MI

Just ran into this issue as well. In my case it was caused by moving code from a case insensitive environment (OSX) to a case sensitive one (Linux).  Once I fixed the file name casing, the problem was gone.

Check to make sure the first letter of directory and filenames are properly uppercased in modules.

Greg

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community