Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Placing Category Left Sidebar Navigation in CMS pages

leotan123

Total Posts:  2

hi! im new to magento and using 1.7. i need custom pages in the website and so created Categories for top navigation and CMS pages using this tutorial(http://www.magentocommerce.com/knowledge-base/entry/adding-page-links-in-the-navigation-bar) but the default sub categories in the left doesnt show but when i use CMS Static blocks as the page, the sub categories are shown.

how do i address this problem? is there a way to show left sub category list for cms pages(2 column-left) or just use cms static blocks as the “pages”?

thanks!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

G_Mehta
Guru

Total Posts:  418
India

I have solutions for that, have a look on my extension.

http://www.mehtagaurav.blogspot.in/2011/11/magento-navigation-menu-of-cms-pages.html

cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

leotan123

Total Posts:  2

hi! thanks for that but that was not what i needed.

Its like i need the “browse by” left navigation to show in its same normal place. So if i have the following main categories: cat1, cat2 and cat3(shown in the top navigation). Given cat2 has sub categories: cat2_1, cat2_2 and cat2_3 (which i created url rewrites to link to their own custom CMS pages). when i click menu cat2_1 from the top menu.

this is what i like to show in the left sidebar of the CMS page:

=========
Cat2
=========
- Cat2_1
- Cat2_2
- Cat2_3
=========

Magento Community
Magento Community

dastoke

Total Posts:  21

Hi, I am really struggling to acheive what I need for the left side bar on the Hompage.
I have managed to insert the shop by category in the left navigation but wanted as follows;

1) To list only categories from level 3 (root>Cat1>Cat2>CAT3
I have managed to get all categories showing but really do not need Cat 1 & 2 to show here

2) To use the category thumbnail only in the sidebar for these CAT3’s

Any help would be appreciated!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Amasty
Mentor

Total Posts:  3988

Hi! You can solve the issue with Advanced Categories functionality built in Improved Navigation extension.
For more details, user guide and live demo please follow the link http://amasty.com/improved-navigation-advanced-categories-menu.html

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community