Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

dedicated server

harveydaisy

Total Posts:  6

Hi,
I have been told that I need a dedicated server and on a previous post someone kindly recommeded Simplehelix. Are there any other companies anyone can recommend.
Also, what should I be looking to pay to set up the change of server, plus any monthly costs.

Thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

Total Posts:  1158

Hello,

How big is your store in terms of products and visitors/day? You may not need a dedicated server unless you have a very large store with lots of traffic. A decent dedicated server starts at about $250/month. There are many hosts specializing in Magento on these forums. You might try that first.

Anyway, for dedicated servers I recommend dedicatednow.com. Great support and premium network.

Magento Community
Magento Community

harveydaisy

Thanks for such a quite reply!.

My site is fairly new (8 months) and I am not sure how to find out how much traffic I get. I have had a look on my admin and it doesn’t show big number of visitors.
How do I find out the exact No.

Sorry, but have no knowledge of this kind of thing and have relied on the company that set it all up for me.

The site seems to be running slow and I am sure it never used to be like this. I also get error messages when trying to update products, again i am told this all relates to the need for a dedicated server - unfortunately due to my lack of knowldge I don’t know if thisis my only option or the easiest!

Thanks again

Magento Community
Magento Community

harveydaisy

Sorry, forgot to say - I have about 200 products all with description and photograph. I also have a terms & conditions page, links, contact us, information page. I have several catagories

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

A dedicated server will certainly not be your easiest option, as it requires a lot of configuration and tuning to get the right setup. If you have no previous experience with Linux and web server management, I would not recommend it. In your control panel (cPanel or other), you should find some information about the bandwidth used. This is a good indication of the amount of traffic your site is generating. You might also have access to a stats application like Webalizer or AWStats.

Besides, getting a dedicated server will not help much unless it is equipped with higher-end hardware, and that soon becomes expensive.

My advise is to get a shared/semi-dedicated hosting package from a host that specialize in Magento, and knows its requirements. They start at around $20/mo.

Magento Community
Magento Community

harveydaisy

No, I have no knowledge or experience with web server management so I agree certainly it wouldn’t be the easiest option.

Are you able to recommend a share / semi dedicated hosting package at all.

Many Thanks again for your quick response - much appreciated

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

Well, I cannot really comment on our offers on these forums as per the forum rules. I advise you to check out the demo store of a few providers, and make up your own decision wink It is a good idea to also send a few pre-sales questions to check their support response time.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Incognito
Guru

Total Posts:  322
Michigan

I use softlayer.  I would say that you need at least 2gb of memory.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community