Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

speed & errors

harveydaisy

Total Posts:  6

Hi,

I have an e-commerce site and am finding it very slow, both on the admin side and the shop side (please excuse if I am not using the right words, but my knowledge is very limited).

My web company said I need a dedicated server to speed it up, which I am going to look into, but I am really struggling with the admin site as when I try to update products I often get a 404 error or the following error message:

exception ‘PDOException’ with message ‘SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 2006 MySQL server has gone away’ in /homepages/

Does anyone know what i should do, it is a shopping site and I really can’t have it so slow that people get bored.

Would very much appreciate any help, advice and comments.

Thank you very much

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

tandylacker

Total Posts:  207

How much traffic do you get?  You need to get quite a bit of traffic before needing dedicated hosting…

I use http://www.simplehelix.com for hosting.  They have a 1 click install for Magento that works right away and they guarantee your site will be as fast as possible.  They’ll also help you move everything over to their servers…

Also, I think Magento is known for being slow if on a server that is not optimized to run Magento…

Magento Community
Magento Community

harveydaisy

Total Posts:  6

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.
My site is relatively new (8 months) and not getting hundreds and hundreds of visitors a day and I am of the opinion that my site doesn’t yet warrant a dedicated server. (I can only base this on the research I have done, plus by looking at the figures on the admin)

How many visitors a day should I be getting before I need to look at a dedicated server do you think?.

Any idea’s on the error messages at all - when I asked they said it all relates to me needing a dedicated server. That I have lots of information on there and that is slowing the site down.  How many products , photographs etc should you be able to have before it effects the site speed?.

Again, thank you for your response I do appreciate it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Incognito
Guru

Total Posts:  322
Michigan

The main issue is the database.  If you increase the query cache you will see better performance but you need more memory hence the need for a dedicated server.  The pictures are going to use more bandwidth so if your server has a fast connection they shouldn’t be an issue.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community