Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Which directory should I upload downloadable prodcuts to via FTP? 

stewdawg35

Total Posts:  41

I am trying to get downloadable products to work but am having some problems. Files that exceed my upload limit (above 10MB) need to be uploaded via FTP. However when I do this and do a test order the downloads don’t work. I have tried to put them in the same folders as the other files but I notice that Magento creates dynamic folders to house the files.

My question is where should I upload the files to that I want to be downloaded and what type of permissions should I set?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  796

One trick that I have done is to upload small placeholder files (1k files) and then FTP to overwrite that file… that way I am always sure it is in the right spot.

Another option is to use the URL option instead of the file upload option.

Magento Community
Magento Community

stewdawg35

Total Posts:  41

That is a good idea to upload a 1k file then overwrite it...cumbersome but maybe it will work. My main problem is that when I do use the URL option the files don’t work when they are downloaded. Any idea where we should upload them and how to fix the problem of the URL option not working?

Magento Community
Magento Community

lagron

Total Posts:  1

skippybosco - 16 January 2009 07:05 PM

One trick that I have done is to upload small placeholder files (1k files) and then FTP to overwrite that file… that way I am always sure it is in the right spot.

Another option is to use the URL option instead of the file upload option.

I am new here....how would I use the url option...do I create a url from which something can be downloaded at or…

thankyou in advance.

Magento Community
Magento Community

thwaitsey

Total Posts:  5

I have tried all above steps but am confused as to where to upload the files. It seems to create a structure per image upload. Can someone please write a quick how to if they have time?

Cheers!

Magento Community
Magento Community

planetgroove

Total Posts:  2

What would be a good thing:

If Magento had a central upload-directory to where you could upload files via ftp and then have a dropdown-list in the products-view to select the relevant file(s) for that product. Unlike the already-available URL-option, the files should then be pulled automatically to the right place to have them sorted correctly.

BTW: Does anybody know, how to retain the filename of the original file, instead of having them renamed automatically to file.* , file_1.* and so on after Magento has uploaded them with its inbuilt uploader-feature? That is annoying for customers when they purchase music-files that don’t have a hint which one is which and they have to rename them all.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community