Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Magento upgrade 1.5 to 1.7

delsea

Total Posts:  67
The Hague, Holland

Hi Guys,

I am trying to upgrade magento from 1.5 to 1.7.
I did it through ssh, and it said it was going ok (no errors mentioned at all), but when i opened up the website it turned out to be totally blank, no I’m afraid it has to do something with my database, and as the database is freaking me out can someone assist me with finding the right answer to upgrade to the lastest version of Magento?

Best regards,
Vanessa

*thank God for backups*

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Ionix

Total Posts:  24

Does it finish loading with a blank page, or does it seemingly take forever to load?

After a shell upgrade, Magento will run MySQL update scripts when the site is accessed for the first time after. As long as it’s loading, let it run. This took 45 minutes on my site. If there is an error it will print up on screen.

If it really is just a blank page and doesn’t continue loading, try clearing your /var/cache and /session/ folders and see if it starts to load the scripts again. As long as it\’s a blank page that is still loading, it should be updating.

Magento Community
Magento Community

delsea

The Hague, Holland

wished i read that post sooner smile
oh well anyway, i still haven\\\\\\\’t managed to fix it, but it seems that there\\\\\\\’s an errorlog this time stating this.

anyone who can help me on this?

a:5:{i:0;s:246:\\\\\\\"Error in file: \\\\\\\"/home/admin/domains/**/public_html/updates/app/code/core/Mage/Core/sql/core_setup/mysql4-upgrade-1.5.9.9-1.6.0.0.php\\\\\\\" - There is no field \\\\\\\"directory_id\\\\\\\" that you are trying to create an index on \\\\\\\"mage_core_file_storage\\\\\\\"\\\\\\\";i:1;s:1200:\\\\\\\"#0 /home/admin/domains/**/public_html/updates/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(645): Mage::exception(\\\\\\\’Mage_Core\\\\\\\’, \\\\\\\’Error in file: ...\\\\\\\’)
#1 /home/admin/domains/**/public_html/updates/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(437): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->_modifyResourceDb(\\\\\\\’upgrade\\\\\\\’, \\\\\\\’0.8.28\\\\\\\’, \\\\\\\’1.6.0.2\\\\\\\’)
#2 /home/admin/domains/**/public_html/updates/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(320): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->_upgradeResourceDb(\\\\\\\’0.8.28\\\\\\\’, \\\\\\\’1.6.0.2\\\\\\\’)
#3 /home/admin/domains/**/public_html/updates/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(235): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->applyUpdates()
#4 /home/admin/domains/**/public_html/updates/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/App.php(417): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup::applyAllUpdates()
#5 /home/admin/domains/**/public_html/updates/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/App.php(343): Mage_Core_Model_App->_initModules()
#6 /home/admin/domains/**/public_html/updates/app/Mage.php(683): Mage_Core_Model_App->run(Array)
#7 /home/admin/domains/**/public_html/updates/index.php(87): Mage::run(\\\\\\\’\\\\\\\’, \\\\\\\’store\\\\\\\’)
#8 {main}\\\\\\\”;s:3:\\\\\\\"url\\\\\\\”;s:9:\\\\\\\"/updates/\\\\\\\”;s:11:\\\\\\\"script_name\\\\\\\”;s:18:\\\\\\\"/updates/index.php\\\\\\\”;s:4:\\\\\\\"skin\\\\\\\”;s:7:\\\\\\\"default\\\\\\\";}

Magento Community
Magento Community

delsea

The Hague, Holland

a:5:{i:0;s:246:"Error in file: “/home/admin/domains/**/public_html/updates/app/code/core/Mage/Core/sql/core_setup/mysql4-upgrade-1.5.9.9-1.6.0.0.php” - There is no field “directory_id” that you are trying to create an index on “mage_core_file_storage"";i:1;s:1200:"#0 /home/admin/domains/**/public_html/updates/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(645): Mage::exception(’Mage_Core’, ‘Error in file: ...’)
#1 /home/admin/domains/**/public_html/updates/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(437): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->_modifyResourceDb(’upgrade’, ‘0.8.28’, ‘1.6.0.2’)
#2 /home/admin/domains/**/public_html/updates/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(320): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->_upgradeResourceDb(’0.8.28’, ‘1.6.0.2’)
#3 /home/admin/domains/**/public_html/updates/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(235): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->applyUpdates()
#4 /home/admin/domains/**/public_html/updates/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/App.php(417): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup::applyAllUpdates()
#5 /home/admin/domains/**/public_html/updates/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/App.php(343): Mage_Core_Model_App->_initModules()
#6 /home/admin/domains/**/public_html/updates/app/Mage.php(683): Mage_Core_Model_App->run(Array)
#7 /home/admin/domains/**/public_html/updates/index.php(87): Mage::run(’’, ‘store’)
#8 {main}”;s:3:"url”;s:9:"/updates/”;s:11:"script_name”;s:18:"/updates/index.php”;s:4:"skin”;s:7:"default";}

Magento Community
Magento Community

sandrajohns

Total Posts:  6

as far as nobody suggests better solutions I can recommend you to migrate your store to a new magento version. it is easier than upgrading and you will not face so many errors as the process will be performed automatically.
you can read this article to find out more about upgrading vs migrating http://www.shopping-cart-migration.com/useful-articles/42-magento/4416-magento-upgrade-or-migrate and then decide whether to use that service.
Personally, I chose the second way and found it really convenient

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community