Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Tracking customers/visitors movements inside Magento

conticreative

Total Posts:  38

My client asked me if there is a way to track visitors movements inside Magento. Apparently, right after launch we had a surge of visitors due to a marketing push but sales were actually lower than with the old shop.

he would like t have a way to track the visitors from when they come into the shop to where they leave.

Is this possible within magento or with any third party software?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Brian315

Total Posts:  9

Google Analytics has this ability.

Magento Community
Magento Community

conticreative

Total Posts:  38

Thank you.That was my suggestion to him.

Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  796

Depending on the level of detail you want, something like Clicky can provide user level detail in real time whereas Google provides aggregated analytic in 12 hour delayed batches.

Magento Community
Magento Community

psylvia

Total Posts:  6
Orlando, Florida - USA

Magento already tracks everything about the visitor.  The referrer, pages visited, last visit, etc.  Look in the database in the tables beginning with “Log_”

I believe this is part of the reason that Magento is very slow as it is performing so many database read and write operations for each visitor.

Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  796

The trick there is how you go about getting that information out of Magento and, as you suggest regarding the database, if that is the best place to store the information for long term analytics on customer usage.

While the database log tables are optimized for insertion, if logging is a problem for you, disable logging in advance configuration and then use a 3rd party tracker like Clicky or Google Analytics to track your customers.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community