Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Upgrade CE 1.4.0.1 to 1.7.0.2

Kev261266

Total Posts:  5

Hiya,

As a web designer I\\\’ve been approached by a client who has a Magento CE site running 1.4.0.1 and he is asking me to upgrade to the latest version. As a Joomla designer I appreciate that upgrading can be a total nightmare and can destroy what was a functioning site, this is usually all for the sake of adding a small amount of extra functionality and a few redesigned icons within the backend.

My question, is it worth doing the upgrade in Magento? will I get a lot of increased functionality and stability? or is it better to leave the site as is? I know I have a lot of Joomla sites still running 1.5 without any problems.

If it is in my clients best interests to upgrade, then what’s the safest way to do this, so as to avoid losing his catalogues, pricing, themes, etc.

The only problem I see with the site in it\\\’s current version is that the site search box is not stable and appears to hover over the main menu when viewed in google chrome, whether this would be rectified by the upgrade, I don\\\’t know.

Any help or any pointers to some good info on the above would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Kev.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

MagenX
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  791
Dublin

functionality maybe, stability not sure smile
what you have to do, just install magento 1.7 locally, on your PC,
import DB, move all templates, and see how it goes.

cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

Kev261266

Thanks for the feedback,

I think that will be the only way to go about this (load a copy onto my virtual server, and see what happens) Again using Joomla as an example I know that a 1.7 template won’t work with a 2.5 install. But after looking at magento, the templates seem to be pretty straightforward html “pages” so this should not be a problem, would you agree?

Also going slightly off tangent, the same clients previous web designer apparently “imported” a spreadsheet into Magento, which contained all of the shipping costs, which would then be added to the shopping cart for payment by the customer. I now need to change these prices and add some extra ones for other areas.

Any idea where these would be?

Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ionix

Total Posts:  24

If you are familiar with using a Linux OS and setting up LAMP I found that provided the easiest upgrade environment. Using the many magento shell upgrade tutorials it makes it very easy.

The shipping charges mechanism you’re describing is somewhat vague, as there are hundreds of ways it could be done with Magento, all with varying levels of programming expertise. At what point during the ordering process does it appear to add the extra shipping costs?

i.e. Is it disclosed and added on the product view to the product total, even before adding to cart? Or is it calculated directly into the shipping quote? It could be something that’s imported into the database, or it could even be taken from an actual .csv file within the directory (less likely, however, as it would be much more efficient to work it into Magento’s own database system.). Once you know the method the charges are added then you should be able to trace it back from there. Also, make sure to check the extensions and modules, both in the Magento Connect Manager and listed within the Configuration -> Advanced tab for any related shipping modules that may have been added.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Kev261266

Hi,

When you mention LAMP do you mean a virtual server type of setup such as XAMPP, as I have that set up already on my machine for site development.

As for the shipping conundrum, I’ve had another look based on your comments and have found the following:

1. The shipping cost is added when the product is added to the cart, as step 4, of a 6 step order process. (I’ve attached some screenshots showing this).

2. I also checked the extensions and modules and found that:

2a. Magento Connect Manager - Clicking this shows “Error - Please check for sufficient file permissions”
2b. Magento Package Extensions - Nothing there.
2c. Configuration > Advanced - Mage_Shipping is enabled.
2d. System > Configuration > Shipping Methods > Table rates :: There is a big Orange Export CSV BUtton. (would this relate to a csv file within a directory? and if so where would it be?

I’m still none the wiser as to how I go about changing the numbers.

Image Attachments
shipping_method.jpgshipping_method_2.jpg

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ionix

Total Posts:  24

For table rates the following link would be good for you to check out.
http://www.magentocommerce.com/knowledge-base/entry/how-do-i-set-up-table-rate-shipping/
I’d say export the csv and import the data into an excel sheet to get an idea on how to format it. When it needs to be changed, simply make the alterations, save it to csv and import back into magento.

You’re correct about the XAMP analogy, (in fact, there’s a XAMP package for Linux, however I haven’t had as much success setting it up in linux, I use a different stack installer). LAMP -> Linux - Apache - MySQL - PHP. The reason I recommend Linux is the built in terminal is the same as using server SSH command line. There’s a way to set up the SSH command line in Windows, however I’m not familiar with the set up process. If you can get it working in your local (virtual) server, it will make upgrading much easier, both now and in the future.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Kev261266

Many thanks Ionix,

That is exactly what I was looking for. I’ve downloaded (exported) the CSV file and it all makes sense now. I use open office rather than Excel, but once I found the right settings to display/edit the file. All was well.

Once again, thank you for your help.

Kev.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tomasjerald

Total Posts:  4

Magento upgrading is necessary for successful trading, as each new version is better than the previous one. And It is not so difficult to do as it looks like. There are tons of step-by-step instructions, to simplify this process, actually they are not perfect and not always works. But I sagest you to read this article on how to migrate to newest version of Magento http://www.shopping-cart-migration.com/blog/42-magento/4416-magento-upgrade-or-migrate

Magento Community
Magento Community

kalenjordan

Total Posts:  218
Pasadena, CA

Hey Kev,

Upgrading can be a little bit tricky.  It’s definitely in their best interest to stay up to date, but there’s always the question of whether there’s enough bang for the buck, because the reality is that it does generally cost a non-trivial amount to perform an upgrade properly (unfortunately).

1.7 has some [a href="http://www.magentocommerce.com/blog/comments/magento-enterprise-112-and-community-17-now-available/"]neat features[/a], including a nice mobile HTML5 theme. 

The search box layout issue that you’re mentioning is most likely caused by your custom theme HTML/CSS itself, and the core upgrade probably wouldn’t resolve it.  The core upgrade generally doesn’t touch your custom theme, although there are a few fixes that will be need to be made to it coming from 1.4.0.1.

Out of curiosity, what is the client’s main reason for wanting to upgrade?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community