Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

404 error

stokly82

Total Posts:  22

Ok once again I’m going to give it a go and “TRY” to get some help from here. Created a new web store.  I have place a product on there.  when going to the url address for the store I can see the product.  Now when I click on that product it gives me the good old error 404 component not found. I’ve had that happen when just trying to set the store up but never when clicking on a product that had been added.  I’m on Ver 1.3.2.4 right now.  Everything is enabled and visible on the backend.  You can try it your self and see what happens when you click on the product.  I’m sure its something small on the backend but I’m not catching it.

http://www.minervapromotions.com/cougars/

Help on this would be greatly welcomed.  Please and thank you!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1848

All the links on that page that I click give me a 404 not found. Nothing works that I can see.

As a test of your web server’s function, go into System Config -> General -> Web -> Search Engine Optimization and set it to No

Clear your cache and see if all the links start working and stop giving you a 404.

If this is the case, then your server does not have rewrites enabled. Check the .htaccess to make sure it contains the following lines and that they aren’t commented out (hash at the beginning of the line).

############################################
## enable rewrites

Options +FollowSymLinks
    RewriteEngine on

Contact your hosting provider and have them enable the Rewrite Engine (load the mod_rewrite DSO module in Apache).

Magento Community
Magento Community

stokly82

Holy heck thank you so much for all your help.. that worked.  Question is why all of a sudden is this a problem?  It had never happened before and just started about two or three weeks ago.  I’m going to try and do a little looking up on the matter my self but any thoughts again are welcomed.  Cant say thank you enough as well.  Really saved my ass on this one.

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1848

For something like the rewrite module to uninstall or disappear means that possibly some sort of update patch or upgrade was installed by your hosting provider that removed it. I’ve seen cases where hardware failure has caused a hosting provider to do a stock restore which meant the pdo modules for PHP didn’t get reinstalled causing a site to go down. My latest was an upgrade earlier this spring that caused an incompatible version of APC to get loaded causing our site to have high processor usage that caused grief.

It happens, usually with a Magento aware hosting provider, very infrequently as they’re aware of Magento’s dependencies.

Magento Community
Magento Community

stokly82

ok that makes sense… Again thank you so much for you help and I hope one day I will be able to do the same for you.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community