Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

What are Customer Groups supposed to be used for? 

awarner20

Total Posts:  7

I apologize if this seems like a really simple question, but after searching, I haven’t been able to find a detailed description of what abilities Customer Groups provide. I have found how to create and edit them, but not any example uses.

Can someone here point me in the right direction?

Maybe an explanation of what I’m trying to accomplish will shed some light on my confusion…

I have a desire to display several thousand products to the general public WITHOUT THE ABILITY FOR THEM TO PURCHASE.

I have a desire to allow distributors to register for an account and have these registrations go onto a PENDING STATUS until I manually approve them. The users that are approved in this DISTRIBUTOR GROUP will be able to see other sections of the site that the general public cannot.

For instance, when a user in the distributor group is logged in, they will see a section (or catalog) of replacement parts. These parts will have prices (or not because distributors already have price lists) and the distributor user will be able to add to cart, and then submit the order, but here’s another catch. The submitted order should be a “purchase order” style submission that does not include any payment. Rather, the submitted order would only show the item details and then be emailed to our customer service dept.

Can anyone here please advise whether this kind of set up is possible with Magento? If so, could you please recommend any extensions or any other sources of information that would make this possible?

Thanks so much for your time and any guidance you may be able to offer.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

sixK

Total Posts:  16

Magento has the payment option for Purchase Orders (isn’t active by default) in System > Payment Methods. I think the best solution would be to do 2 different stores. One with products without the ability to purchase for the general public, then one with pricing, shipping, etc. and the ability to pay by Purchase Order only.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sixK

Total Posts:  16

Sorry that is System > Configuration > Payment Methods.

Magento Community
Magento Community

awarner20

sixK - 15 January 2009 01:27 PM

Magento has the payment option for Purchase Orders (isn’t active by default) in System > Payment Methods. I think the best solution would be to do 2 different stores. One with products without the ability to purchase for the general public, then one with pricing, shipping, etc. and the ability to pay by Purchase Order only.

Thanks for the reply sixK, it’s great to know that the purchase order option already exists! When you say make two different stores, I think I can do that the same install, just make a new website store?

So, your advice will help me to move forward with the purchase order only option. Do you have any further advice on how I might limit the access of this store to only logged in users?

Still looking for more advice all around on a setup I might try to accomplish the original goal.

Magento Community
Magento Community

awarner20

...for anyone reading this thread. I have found an older thread that outlines some possible steps to accomplish what I asked above about making products only available to registered users. This information was helpful, but is only a clue, as it appears that the user who posted had varying results. Here’s the thread http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/10908/

Can anyone else speak to this question and offer some guidance?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community