Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Magento HTML5 mobile theme and Aheadworks mobile

k3nn3dy

Total Posts:  4

Hi,

anyone have views on pro\\\\\\\’s and cons regarding the new Magento 1.7 community built-in mobile theme v the aheadworks mobile theme? I was thinking of using Aheadworks because I can\\\\\\\’t find any case studies of people who have used the Magento theme....

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

kab8609
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  821
Cleveland

k3nn3dy - 05 July 2012 02:09 AM

Hi,

anyone have views on pro\\\\\\\’s and cons regarding the new Magento 1.7 community built-in mobile theme v the aheadworks mobile theme? I was thinking of using Aheadworks because I can\\\\\\\’t find any case studies of people who have used the Magento theme....

I would recommend you test drive both of them out. The new Magento one, I have a few clients using and they are starting to pay off. However that being said, its free and basic. Its great for starting out, but its basic. In my opinion, the aheadworks and the new standard magento one are about at par with each other.

If you really want to blow them away, I would recommend http://www.redlightblinking.com/. They have a new responsive theme coming out very soon (that means it works on ipad, iphone, itouch, androids, the list goes on) and i’ve seen sneak peaks of it and honestly it blows away any mobile theme i’ve ever seen. I have clients who are reaching 20% of their sales on mobile themes (up from 2% in January) who will be making the switch in the fall to the responsive theme.

I think your best bet is to theme the magento mobile theme, get a feel of it, make sure customers like it and then move to a more advance mobile theme.

Just an FYI, im not affiliated in anyway with Aheadworks or RedLight.

Magento Community
Magento Community

aheadWorks
Guru

Total Posts:  424

kab8609 - 05 July 2012 06:35 AM

In my opinion, the aheadworks and the new standard magento one are about at par with each other.

Native Magento theme and aheadWorks iPhone theme are absolutely different. First of all, native Magento theme is installed on a separate subdomain and is more like a service. The aheadWorks product is an extension which is easily installed on a website what makes it much faster to configure and use.

With native theme, your customers will have to use a special app to browse your store with a mobile. The iPhone Theme from aheadWorks detects the device automatically, no additional actions are required from your users what considerably increases the usability of your website.

Moreover, you buy aheadworks iPhone theme once for $149 (for CE) and use it as long as you need, while Magento offers a wide range of pricing plans for different period of time and platforms. e.g. one-time set-up fee for iPhone is $799.

These are not the only differences between our two products, but they are important enough to understand that they are not at par with each other.

Please feel free to contact our support team if you need more detailed information about iPhone theme from aheadWorks - http://ecommerce.aheadworks.com/contacts/

Magento Community
Magento Community

kab8609
Enthusiast

Cleveland

aheadWorks - 06 July 2012 04:59 AM

Native Magento theme and aheadWorks iPhone theme are absolutely different. First of all, native Magento theme is installed on a separate subdomain and is more like a service. The aheadWorks product is an extension which is easily installed on a website what makes it much faster to configure and use.

Aheadworks… You have completely ignored the the topic of this post. He is talking about the Mobile HTML5 compliant theme that Magento released with v1.7, and NOT the iphone app that Magento sells as well.

Source: http://www.magentocommerce.com/blog/comments/magento-enterprise-112-and-community-17-now-available/

With native theme, your customers will have to use a special app to browse your store with a mobile. The iPhone Theme from aheadWorks detects the device automatically, no additional actions are required from your users what considerably increases the usability of your website.

The HTML5 Mobile Theme from Magento does this as well. I’ve personally tested it on the iphone, ipad, and android.

Moreover, you buy aheadworks iPhone theme once for $149 (for CE) and use it as long as you need, while Magento offers a wide range of pricing plans for different period of time and platforms. e.g. one-time set-up fee for iPhone is $799.

The HTML5 Mobile Theme from Magento is free to download in V1.7.

Magento Community
Magento Community

markoshust

Total Posts:  129
Cleveland, OH

First of all, native Magento theme is installed on a separate subdomain and is more like a service.

Magento native mobile theme isn’t “installed” on a separate subdomain. It runs off browser header information and pulls the appropriate theme back based on that information. It basically just pulls another mobile-optimized theme vs. the default one.

With native theme, your customers will have to use a special app to browse your store with a mobile.

This is completely wrong. Users can use any mobile browser on their smartphone to browse the site. No special app is needed.

Magento’s pricing structure for the iPhone app, not the mobile theme. The native mobile theme is free.

These are not the only differences between our two products, but they are important enough to understand that they are not at par with each other.

They are actually directly on par with each other. Aheadworks mobile theme is basically a ‘skin’ you would buy just as you would buy one from templatemonster.com, hellothemes.com, etc. Aheadworks may be better, which is why you have to pay for it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

aheadWorks
Guru

Total Posts:  424

kab8609 - 06 July 2012 05:31 AM

Aheadworks… You have completely ignored the the topic of this post. He is talking about the Mobile HTML5 compliant theme that Magento released with v1.7, and NOT the iphone app that Magento sells as well.

Dear Kris, we have never announced officially the compatibility of our iPhone theme with HTML5, so we can’t imagine how you can state these two apps are at par with each other.

kab8609 - 06 July 2012 05:31 AM

The HTML5 Mobile Theme from Magento does this as well. I’ve personally tested it on the iphone, ipad, and android.

Great! We hope some day it would be compatible with other mobile operating systems, e.g. with Windows Phone 7 and BlackBerry as well as our iPhone Theme smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

kab8609
Enthusiast

Cleveland

aheadWorks - 08 July 2012 10:11 PM

Dear Kris, we have never announced officially the compatibility of our iPhone theme with HTML5, so we can’t imagine how you can state these two apps are at par with each other.

Did you read the opening post? Do you know what this topic is about? Obviously so since you started comparing the $799 Mobile App to your mobile theme when the forum topic is “Magento HTML5 mobile theme and Aheadworks mobile”.

aheadWorks - 08 July 2012 10:11 PM

Great! We hope some day it would be compatible with other mobile operating systems, e.g. with Windows Phone 7 and BlackBerry as well as our iPhone Theme

I’ll just paste one line of the htaccess for you…

#RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} "android|blackberry|ipad|iphone|ipod|iemobile|opera mobile|palmos|webos|googlebot-mobile" [NC]

Magento Community
Magento Community

aitdawed

Total Posts:  5

Hi,

I would recommend to use the following Magento mobile theme: http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/neddev-magento-mobile-theme-7103.html

The Magento HTML5 mobile theme is very buggy and the Aheadworks one is too regid to customize!

Magento Community
Magento Community

JameZXK

Total Posts:  12

Magento HTML5 Tag Cloud - Free extension for your Magento store at Mage-shop.Visit my home page to find out usefull extensions now.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community