I have been reading feverishly to find an answer to this and still have come up with nothing.
I have a clean install of Magento 1.7 and I am able to import my products without any problem. My troubles are with the images. Has anyone figured out how to import images into a fresh install using the Dataflow or any other means? I keep returning that the “image does not exist” when i use the dataflow.
Here is my process…
1. Create folder ‘/$magentoroot/media/import’
2. Upload images of products in .jpg format
3. Create a Dataflow as per http://www.meteorify.com/2012/05/importing-product-images-csv-magento-1-7-0-0/
4. Create a CSV file. For example here is one line — “16055”,"/media/import/10655.jpg"
5. Save CSV file as UTF-8
5. Upload the CSV and run the data flow.
This renders a “Image does not exist” error. Are there specific permission that I need on that folder? How does this dataflow create the folders that are necessary for the backend to recognize? I notice magento creates folders based on the first two characters of the image file name. Is there a manual way of doing this?