Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Maybe a dumb question, but can magento automatically create attributes options on import? 

abijah

Total Posts:  130

If I create an attribute called “Length”, and an option within that attribute for [let’s say] 32 inches, and apply that attribute to a product, will I be able to export my products and add new options for the “Length” attribute within the “Length” column in the export? Will they automatically be created as options when I re-import the csv file?

For example, can I populate the fields within the “length” column of my exported csv file, and then re-upload that csv and have those options show up in the shopping cart?

I realize this may be a stupid question.

Thanks a lot

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

abijah

really? no reply? it’s a yes or no question. Right now I’m entering attribute options by hand even though I have them ready to go in a spreadsheet. Can anyone tell me if I can just upload the options via an import???????

Magento Community
Magento Community

abijah

Still nothing? Yes or No folks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

holenderViamo

Total Posts:  39
Stockholm, Sweden

The standard productimport requires excisting attributoptions. So the answer to your question is no.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Dazillio

Total Posts:  6
Coral Springs, Florida

I’m still looking for this one myself.  This seems to be the only problem with Magento that I’ve found so far, unfortunately, it’s a BIG ONE.

Magento Community
Magento Community

el1jones

Total Posts:  5

I think that this is more than a BIG problem, it’s a deal breaker.
I just started developing a site with magento, and the inability to import, export or global change options is the ONE thing that has caused me to HALT starting with magento on 2 more projects. 
Previously I’ve used oscommerce, x-cart and other systems to create online stores for clients.  They all have a system to update options in an import or globally, in some way.  I was excited when I discovered Magento, watched it develop and then decided to use it in a project.
I was planning to develop all my projects with it, until discovering this one HUGE glitch. 
It was my hope that my client would benefit with a nicer store, Magento would benefit with subscription support, and I would benefit by offering a nice system at a cheaper price.  Now I’m back to my other systems until Magento or someone develops a solution.
Sad…

Magento Community
Magento Community

avintel

Total Posts:  147
Southern California

this is a thread bump because i have been searching knowledge base, wiki and threads to find out if this can be done directly in sql db, magento dataflow or some other way.  does anyone know?

Magento Community
Magento Community

reshel

Total Posts:  38
East Texas

i have 173 products and all are I need t be able to create selection options fo the customer to tell me what they are wanting.. (ie, waist, hips, fabric color, and size options) I was searching every where and and as I see it.. there has to be a configuraable product for each option and then added to the master product as a configuraable product??? this would mean adding tons of line items one by one just to get one product entered correctly??? i dont see this as a time saving prject to get my site up and running sooner than I need.

what the heck? do i really have to add that many product options for one actual product? please help..

i want to make a attribute set for each catagory ( garments, tassels, etc, etc, each one unique options for that cat) and then apply the individual sets to each catagory products. problem is all my products are already entered as simple products..

and i cant seem to get even one product to show an option Ive created ..

this is messed up if we cant add option attributes as a mass upload or an easier way than creating 20 option products for one master product..

some one give me some advice please.. this is frustrating me.. ive spent days editing my csv to upload all data and I got that working.. but no I need the options for my customers to select..

thanks

reshel
www.zipporahsthimble.com./shop

Magento Community
Magento Community

AITOC
Guru

Total Posts:  618
US

reshel - 18 April 2010 08:19 AM

i have 173 products and all are I need t be able to create selection options fo the customer to tell me what they are wanting.. (ie, waist, hips, fabric color, and size options) I was searching every where and and as I see it.. there has to be a configuraable product for each option and then added to the master product as a configuraable product??? this would mean adding tons of line items one by one just to get one product entered correctly??? i dont see this as a time saving prject to get my site up and running sooner than I need.

what the heck? do i really have to add that many product options for one actual product? please help..

i want to make a attribute set for each catagory ( garments, tassels, etc, etc, each one unique options for that cat) and then apply the individual sets to each catagory products. problem is all my products are already entered as simple products..

and i cant seem to get even one product to show an option Ive created ..

this is messed up if we cant add option attributes as a mass upload or an easier way than creating 20 option products for one master product..

some one give me some advice please.. this is frustrating me.. ive spent days editing my csv to upload all data and I got that working.. but no I need the options for my customers to select..

thanks

reshel
www.zipporahsthimble.com./shop

Hello Reshel,

Do you need to track inventory for each option? If not, our custom options templates extension could help you out:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/AITOC,+Inc./extension/1431/custom-options-templates

What do you think?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community