Magento Forum

Still having mysql.sock issues

Greg

Total Posts:  53
Carmel, IN USA

Magento,

Hi guys/galls!  First thanks for all the help you’ve given the community with 0.7.1480 installs.

Personally I haven’t been able yet to make it all the way through the install.  This has had more to do with Apple’s distro of Apache/PHP/MySQL that anything with Magento.  I’ve solve those issues to date and remain mired.

My current issue is related to mysql.sock.  Apple places this in /var/mysql/mysql.sock.  I’ve edited php.ini to include:

mysql.default_socket = /var/mysql/mysql.sock

and

mysqli.default_socket = /var/mysql/mysql.sock

Yet I still receive an error:

SQLSTATE[HY000] [2002] Can’t connect to local MySQL server through socket ‘/tmp/mysql.sock’ (2)

I have replaced the Mysql.php and Mysqli.php files as recommended in the forum.  In that forum I noticed that there is the possibility that this configuration value will not be recognized by Magento’s install.  I have not yet changed the config.xml as it was not clear in the forum posts if this was necessary to complete the work around.

Is there a work around for this yet or should I simply wait for the next release?

Regards,

Greg

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

The next release is right around the corner, I would suggest waiting for it smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Greg

Carmel, IN USA

Thanks Moshe!  I’ll be a little bit more patient.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Greg

Carmel, IN USA

Hi guys,

I completely deleted the magento director from my root and reinstalled.  Still receiving an error on /tmp/mysql.sock.  Of course this does not exist and I have changed it for both mysql and mysqli extensions to php.  Found an old article on php.net that suggested /var/mysql directory does not have appropriate permission for apache’s user (e.g. _www).  Changed the directory and all its contents to 777.  Still no joy.

Do I need to reply the mysql.php and mysqli.php files again?

Greg

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

Greg: did you try putting /var/mysql/mysql.sock into “Host” field during Install Wizard on Configuration page?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Greg

Carmel, IN USA

Moshe,

Sadly yes!  That was the first thing I did.

Magento Community
Magento Community

gordon

Total Posts:  14

Greg: are you using localhost as the mysql host? try using 127.0.0.1. this will force mysql to use tcp protocol instead of unix socket.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Greg

Carmel, IN USA

Gordon,

Amazingly simple!  Magento install launched right into the database install and I’ve made it all the way through to the demo store.  I’m going to remain curious about why the socket wouldn’t work.  I set the /var/mysql/mysql.sock configuration setting every place I could find that it might possibly have been read.  But Mage wouldn’t give up on /tmp/mysql.sock.

Just for grins, have I given up something by configuring it this way?  Second, and this is probably answered in a different thread, but is the ability to enabel mod_rewrite an admin panel option or does that require a reinstall?

Thanks for the help!

Greg

Magento Community
Magento Community

ttwhy

Total Posts:  70

hey Greg,

i think ive got the same Problem.

Fixed it a bit dirty, but now its working. Maybe this thread will be helpful:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/2857/