Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Using an oracle database

Zelpus

Total Posts:  2

I was just curious if it possible to integrate Magento in to an oracle database? If it is possible what would I need to do?

Thanks in advance.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandlive_br
Guru

Total Posts:  653
Buenos Aires, Argentina

@Zelpus

Is not possible to use a different database to Mysql.
I don’t want to talk about the good that can be Mysql or Orcale or PostgreSql or SqlServer.
The only question that I got is: why you want to run Magento into an Oracle database?

--
Damián

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

You can use Magento with any database - it is in fact database independent. However, the product ships with a mySQL adapter. To work with Oracle, you will need to create / develop an appropriate adapter.

Hope this helps.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandlive_br
Guru

Total Posts:  653
Buenos Aires, Argentina

@Roy

Maybe I didn’t response to @Zelpus with the full response.
As you say, Magento is database independent, but (and this is some kind of question) if I want to change the database, I need to modify all the sql scripts.
Do you know someone that made that changes and use Magento as is (only like a proof of concept, of course).

Thanks for your reply.

--
Damián

Magento Community
Magento Community

Zelpus

Well the company I work for is all oracle based so if I did end up using magento for their ecommerce I would probably have to have access to their database for the purposes they would want to use site.

I already use a connection for symfony to oracle so I’m sure it would be something similar for magento.

Thanks for the replies.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bruno Sanos

Total Posts:  9

The question is: I have to change all the SQL scripts to use with my Oracle databases?

Magento Community
Magento Community

mweather

Total Posts:  33

Not all of them, but probably a good portion. Both Oracle and MySQL use SQL syntax afterall, so some will work on both.  It’s the non-standard extensions to SQL that MySQL have done that would need converted.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bruno Sanos

Total Posts:  9

Ok, more where I start to make this transition to the Oracle? In which I move, what files?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sergio Tirado

Total Posts:  1

hello everyone, I’m looking for an e-commerce platform and I see Magento as a very good option. The only thing that is an obstacle to take the decision is two things:
• I want to know if Magento runs over the Oracle DB. I understand, according to the thread that this is possible, did I understand right?? and if Magento needs an adarter, which one?
• I understand that Magento doesn’t have cost, but the support is like a membership that last one year. Is this true?

Sergio

Magento Community
Magento Community

djchrisle

I’m also investigating using Magento to frontend Oracle.  This is where I am:

Why would anyone do this?
1) Oracle is a very extensive ERP system.  For medium business (500+ employees) It does suply-chain management, internal controls, ERP, accounting, quoting, etc.... things that Magento can’t do and wasn’t designed for.  This is especially true if your company has already been using Oracle for a long time and has installed links to your vendor’s ERP systems.

2) Unfortunately, Oracle’s e-Business suite (namely iStore) can be very difficult to customize and looks like 1998.  It’s entirely JSP based and looks like a big mess and is not SEO friendly.  It’s made worse by any patches to the Oracle code may/can/will screw up your customizations.

3) The advantage that iStore has over Magento is that it’s already fully integrated into the rest of the Oracle system.

Possible solution #1
Solution: Tie Magento’s SOAP to Oracle 11i’s XML/SOAP gateway.  Push orders from Magento directly into Oracle’s Order Management module.
Problems: Not exactly real time, getting customer data / orders, etc back into Magento, synchronizing Oracle’s inventory management system with Magento, integrating Oracle’s Single Sign On module with Magento’s own user management.

Possible solution #2
Solution: Create a Magento module that overwrites most of the product, inventory, and order placement, and leverages Oracle’s iStore instead.

Problem: Back to customizing Oracle so you’ll have to deal with custom/seeded code conflicts, you lose the best features Magento has to offer for e-commerce (eg: comparison shopping), it’s a lot of work, Magento themes won’t apply to Oracle, the scalability is questionable, upgrade paths for Magento and Oracle could be a enormous nightmare later.

I’m still reading and digging to find something that might work better.

Magento Community
Magento Community

djchrisle

I just wanted to update my last post.  I believe I found a solution to use Magento as the eCommerce solution with Oracle handling the business processes.  Basically the idea would be to use Oracle’s XML gateway, an XGM file, and stored procedures to read/write Oracle tables from Magento.  It’s documented in Oracle’s XML Gateway documentation.  Think of Magento as the 3rd party.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Oliver Kohll

RoyRubin - 12 January 2009 08:13 PM

You can use Magento with any database - it is in fact database independent. However, the product ships with a mySQL adapter. To work with Oracle, you will need to create / develop an appropriate adapter.

Hope this helps.

Roy, I downloaded Magento and can see an adapter in lib/Varien/Db/Adapter/

Is that what you’re referring to? Is that really the only thing necessary to adapt to another SQL database? There’s no other MySQL specific code elsewhere? I’m looking at the possibility of writing a PostgreSQL adapter. If that’s so, it looks manageable.

Regards
Oliver Kohll

Magento Community
Magento Community

patu7

Total Posts:  64

Hi djchrisle,

as u mentioned that

[b]  I just wanted to update my last post
I believe I found a solution to use Magento as the 
eCommerce solution with Oracle handling the business 
processes
.  Basically the idea would be to use Oracle’s XML 
gateway
an XGM file, and stored procedures to read/write
Oracle tables from Magento
.  It’s documented in Oracle’s XML
Gateway documentation
.Think of Magento as the 3rd party[/b]

Can u plz explain me how exactly u integrate Magento with Oracle or plz provide relevant code for the same…

Waitng fr ur response…
Thnx…

Magento Community
Magento Community

NLnearshore

Guys: here’s the guide by Magento Commerce. It ispossible to run Magento on an Oracle DB in stead of MySQL.

URL: http://www.magentocommerce.com/images/uploads/RDBMS_Guide2.pdf

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community